What can I do to avoid bladder infections in the future?

pigpal

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:00 am

What is osmotic shock exactly?

I seem to remember having heard it used in connection with fish, making sure the replacement water in a water change is the same chemical balance and temperature as the old water so the fish don´t get thrown for a loop.

But how does it apply to guinea pigs?

Kath

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:52 am

Well for Petey´s sake! The piggers have been on the distilled water for a year, but my cat has been on it for about 7 years! I even mentioned the distilled water to the vet the other day. If new info had come out, I´d think this particular vet would be up on it. I need to get them off of it pronto and give the vet a ring I think.

My girl who has the bladder infection is an Abby...slightly longer hair than her American sister, but not a lot to trim really. I think I´m going to have to scoop the corners more often, and failing that, do a suspended floor like pinta suggested.

The misdiagnosis I was referring to was what Lynx mentioned...actually a problem with the reproductive system, and it coloring the urine with blood as opposed to the actual urinary system.

Thanks again all!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:45 am

Some vets get a clean urine sample directly from the bladder (carefully insert a needle) -- blood there would point to that area. Other vets get a pee sample. I am guessing the odds are on a UTI vs. a reproductive problem. Just pointing out that there are other possibilities when you see blood in urine.