New Look -- Guinea Lynx

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:24 pm

Hey, I just got done working on a face lift for Guinea Lynx, under the close direction of my html guru, Teresa. She gave me the bones for the top margin and worked on layout and all the little details that make things look nice (and there were many, many details). She tried to avoid shaking me up too much by suggesting anything drastic (we old people need to watch our hearts...) but reworked it enough to be much more contemporary. I got a few other ideas from a couple other friends who made sure I didn´t forget that Netscape is not a landscaping company, but a browser.

I´m pretty pleased with how it turned out -- though I suspect Teresa will be emailing me for the next few months with suggestions for further fine tuning. I am beginning to think she does not sleep. I´m happy to report I do not believe in vampires and if I did, I wouldn´t advertise it (Teresa conveniently lives several thousand miles from Virginia).

Anyway, if you are bored (this is you, Lou, right?), check out Guinea Lynx (see button on the page).

Thanks Teresa!! There are still a few other things that will doubtlessly be changed but it sure looks a whole lot better!
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:42 pm

I like the trio of pigs. Lookin´ good.

Kat

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:36 pm

Lookin´ good;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:24 pm

I´ve been experiementing with some css (cascading style sheets). Most browsers can view the results fine -- some can´t. I had a couple Netscape people take a look (old version of Netscape -- 4.7, I think) and they could not see the buttons on the left hand column -- only the words, unframed.

If anyone has time to take a look, tell me what you see and what browser you are using. Most browsers will see buttons in the left-hand column -- two of the buttons are a different color, and if you run your mouse across the side bar buttons, they change color (look like they are being depressed).

Test page is:
https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/index2.html

pigpal

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:54 pm

I see two pink buttons, one light, one dark. When I run the mouse over them they change tone and the other buttons turn gray. Netscape 6.2.

Does these mean I´m color blind?

imanut4u

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:04 pm

Looks good Lynx.

main page looks the same on IE 6.02600 and Netscape 6.1 with the exception of a slight color difference (most noticed in the frames around the logo at the top). I like it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:37 pm

Pigpal, color blind? No. That´s pretty much what it looks like. I imagine someone else would have a better color sense than I do for the buttons, but that´s what I came up with after a little playing around.

The text color can be made to change with the mouseover too. The neat thing with those buttons is they are done completely with html -- you don´t need any gifs or jpgs so it loads faster.

Cara

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:05 pm

I must have Netscape 4.7 b/c I also see unframed words, no buttons. The colors are good though.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:25 pm

I´m using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 and everything looks great.
Good job, Lynx. :)

pinta

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:44 pm

Netscape 4.7. Looks like colours are missing on left side. No colours at all. Just words running down the side.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:42 pm

New solution. I did some hunting around, and one of the tools I use, SSI (server side includes), can be used conditionally. It can tell which browser you are using (you ask it to check) and then you insert the side bar you want displayed for that browser.

So this seems to have the fancy buttons for IE and the plain sidebar for Netscape:

https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/index3.html

Ah, the wonders of modern science....