First rescue!

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:16 am

You may or may not know that abandoned guinea pigs are quite rare in Australia (thankfully). I have never heard of any pig rescues and my local animal shelter never has any either (all to the good). However, today I undertook what I am going to call my first rescue! Looked through the Trading Post the other day and under Freebie - Pets I spy an ad that runs ´guinea pig, male, free to good home´. Well, I have plenty of room and seven other pigs, so what could I do? Ran it past the boyf (his answer was ´you can have as many pigs as you want´ - oh, foolish foolish boy!) Other housemates covered - one is critter crazy, just like me, and the other (brother) wouldn´t even notice. So I give the number of the ad a ring - usual story, kid had pig, kid bored with pig, dad left to clean cage etc etc.

To cut a long one short, after a two hour round trip, I now have another piggie residing with me. He´s in quarantine at the moment, obviously, but looks pretty healthy. His name is Jet (any guesses as to what colour he is??) Hopefully, he will get along with my other two boys, Teddy and Pootle. Otherwise, I´m expecting two litters at the mo, so I´m sure there´ll be a few boys in the bunch when they arrive and that´ll be company for him.

And, and and...finished building a huge cubes cage for the five girls (and upcoming litters). 4 x 3 cubes, plus an upper level, giving them over 20 sq feet of space to run around in. They are loving it!

So, all in all, this has been a good day...;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:28 am

Cool! I hope it works out well. Maybe we should start a saintly page for all the rescuers and the rest of us can heap accolades on the do-gooders. You know, this is just a beginning. There are other pigs out there looking for love.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:16 am

I´m glad for that pig that he found you. In a way it´s almost bittersweet--I sure hope the problem in Australia doesn´t get as bad as it is here.

Lynx, a saintly page for the rescuers? *gag* Accolades?

Come here and steal a pig or three. I´ll heap whatever you want on you.

pigpal

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:33 pm

What would you call it - "Saints or suckers?" Beware, the start of the slippery slope............

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:46 pm

LOL

Thanks for the nice words. I should just say (before I get my halo) that I have suffered a few guilt pangs, because I do occasionally breed my pigs. So I do feel I should do my bit for rescue as well.

Incidentally, I breed abbys and shelties, both of which aren´t that common around Adelaide, so there are people out there wanting them. And when I say breed, well, a litter a year is about it. I´ve got two at the moment because Peaches came pregnant from the petshop. I wouldn´t have dreamt of breeding her ´cos she´s far too young. The babies are sold in same sex pairs and I´ve written up a care sheet which the owners get, with my number on it in case they run into problems. I also guarantee that I will take the pigs back for whatever reason, if they can´t keep them any more. Oh, and I never never in-breed or line breed. I like my pigs to have hybrid vigour.

I don´t breed for shows, I don´t really agree with showing. I just supply wanted pets to people, if there´s a demand.

I´m just rambling on about this because, if it isn´t a oxymoron, I consider myself a responsible breeder. If indeed, I´m a breeder at all, apart from the strictest literal sense.

Needless to say, if there were pigs in rescues here, I wouldn´t breed. But here, if you want a pig, you get it from a petshop or a breeder.

Anyway, Jet is doing fine, quiet but eating and drinking. And very cuddly and calm too.

cea2001

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:15 pm

I must just add, Jet is an extremely handsome pig. A big self black, lots of bulk to him, great ears and shape. If I gave a toss about showing, I reckon he would storm it.

Clipped his nails yesterday, they were disgusting. Once he´s settled a bit I´ll dose him with ivermectin and give him a lice spray.