Made a permanent run

ladyveg

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:21 pm

I´ll post a picture later, but I finally made a permanent run for the pigs. It´s 3 1/2 feet by almost 6 feet. I used grids to make a fence around it, then put down plastic hallway carpet runner to protect the carpet--I bought a 27 inch by 12 foot roll for $5 and cut it into two 6 foot pieces and put them side-by-side. Then I put four pretty yet washable natural rugs down, 20 in. by 40 in. so they cover most of the run. I put in the toys I get out for the pigs when they have playpen time, so now I don´t have to always set it up and take it down again. I´m going to put some low litterboxes in there a´la Lynx, under some little stools, but that will come later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:04 am

Hey, sounds cool! Yes, I find they really like the litter boxes since they are covered. I also add hay to much on and change it daily.

As insurance, I would put a heavy piece of plastic (maybe 4 mil) down under the runners and extending out. You don´t want miscelaneous pee leaking through before they figure out what to do with the bathrooms. And the girls that pee outward sometimes shoot over the side (depends on the height of your bathrooms).

pigpal

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:15 pm

Lucky pigs! I´m curious, what kind of rugs are they? Cotton or what? I´m looking for something like that for my pigs, absorbent, flat, no loops or pile, that I can just toss in the washer and dryer.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:41 am

They are "natural" cotton rugs, no loops or pile, that I got from Menards. I thought they looked very nice, so I was glad I found them. They are a dark forest green color, kind of a natural dye look, so it makes the run look even nicer. They are machine washable in cold water only, so that´s the only drawback, although I´ll probably end up forgetting and throwing them in with a load of rat towels anyway.

Lynx: As insurance, I would put a heavy piece of plastic (maybe 4 mil) down under the runners and extending out.

I´m not sure what you mean. With the actual fence being 3 1/2 feet by 2 inches less than 6 feet, and the plastic runner area being over four feet by six feet, the runners do extend out beyond the grid sides, at least a little bit. The rugs are just about exactly the size of the run space. I would think that the rugs would soak up most pee before it went dribbling off the plastic, no? The rugs cover all the plastic in the run area. Did I not express myself well or did I not understand you correctly?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:24 am

Well, I only have girls and they spray outward. Sometimes I find pee where I don´t expect it. I was thinking about the crack where they join, too. Occasionally I find some pee that has made its way under the litter tray and it smells bad. It´s just a precaution I would take to avoid anything working its way through the cracks or getting peed farther out. Most likely in corners and at edges.

You might not have any trouble but I find an extra barrier helps (you know how we old people are -- so fussy).

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:12 am

The crack where what joins? I think I´m being stupid here, but talk down to me, I´ve been sick since Monday. I have the litter tray on top of a washable rug that is on top of plastic. Do you mean the crack where the grids join around the outside of the pen? I bet you´re right, I have a couple sows that pee out, and I´ll bet you they will back up to the grid fence and shoot it over to my carpet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:18 am

Okay, maybe I am not picturing your set up correctly. Without re-reading, I thought you cut the plastic runner in half and put the pieces side by side. It would be where they overlap (this is the most dangerous crack in my opinion). If it is solid then my suggestions fly out the window.

Now you know how dangerous old age can be.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:32 am

Oh, that crack.

It´s covered by the little rugs. I hope they soak up pee before it all goes underneath and soaks down into the carpet pad.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:55 am

Your nose will know.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:23 am

Good thing I was planning on replacing this carpet sooner or later. I have put all the hidey spots where they might like to pee, on the non-crack areas. And it does overlap by a few inches. I will take a picture today, I´m not doing anything productive, really, and I have 7 cages to clean yet.

pigpal

Post   » Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:28 pm

You might not have any trouble but I find an extra barrier helps (you know how we old people are -- so fussy).

Depends?