Another dreaded bedding question on cat litter

Teresa

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:55 pm

A young expert on another forum is saying that
From my own expierence Cat litter is fine as long as it is UNSENTED AND NON CLUMPING !
I´d like to get some other opinions on that statement. Safe or not? Also, this person says they put the cat litter down with kiln-dried pine on top.

Peter

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:04 pm

I´m not sure if it´s chemically safe, but people who have cats know how dusty that stuff can be, and I don´t think that much dust could be safe.

Which forum is that posted on?

pigpal

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:39 pm

Well, there are unscented NON-CLAY cat litters that I might consider using for a guinea pig.

Those based on recycled newspaper for instance. Good Mews is one that comes to mind Or wood based, e.g. Feline Pine.

The problem with clay based litters is that they consist mainly of sodium bentonite. This a natural clay that has amazing water retention properties. It swells when it somes in contact with liquid. Besides kitty litters, it is used for plugging leaks in dams and caulking and sealing watertight seams. Imagine what this does to a cat or guinea pig´s intestinal tract if it gets swallowed or the lungs if the dust gets inhaled!

Peter

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:50 pm

Pigpal does have a point, I wasn´t thinking of things like Feline Pine.

But if you want something like Feline Pine, why not just buy woodstove pellets?

I wish this person gave a bit more information, such as which product s/he uses.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:52 pm

This site has some interesting information about alternatives to clay based litters:

http://www.sonic.net/marina/articles/moredata.html
Last edited by pigpal on Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teresa

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:02 pm

pigpal

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:17 pm

The non-clumping types of clay kitty litter are usually made of Fuller´s Earth aka kaolin. This is a silicate which can be cause respiratory problems if inhaled. Also clogs up intestinal tract due to absorbing liquid.