Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:50 pm

Just to backtrack slightly, I managed to find a copy of my original piggy vet notes copied into a later diary, sorry still no doses.

To correct earlier, the reason for the vet visit with Scooter was lack of appetite and bloat.

1st vet trip (26th) gave 'flushing out' jab and vitamin jab.

2nd trip (30th) was not Baytril but steroid jab to stimulate appetite.

3rd & 4th trip (31st & 3rd) were definitely Baytril jabs. (4th trip was vet who had the book open while I was there).

5th trip (5th) was final jab in stomach - euthanised.

The practice did have 2 piggy vets but one went to live in Norway and the other was often rushed into surgery as she was an expert in emergency cases so even if my appointment was with her, and she was called in to surgery, I got 'whoever'. By the time Miss P died this vet had already left on maternity leave.
It may have been a sensitivity to it in my pigs but I've always felt it was just too heavy a dose. Nobody ever asked about or weighed the pigs, if that should make a difference.

If I knew then what I know now these pigs would have lived more than 2 years. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:17 pm

It sounds like they did not treat immediately and the baytril may have been too late (that the diarrhea was on its way). The lack of appetite and bloat may have been a bacterial intestinal infection that went untreated and you saw the results of improper treatment for the first 5 days. And the baytril may have been just too late.

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:52 pm

Does anyone know the answer to my question? Is it the same as the oral medicine?

Seffy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:38 pm

Baytril Otic (comes in a pink/white dropper bottle) also contains silver sulfadiazine which is an anti fungal if memory serves.

It was fun reading my old posts here. My dog is nicely cleared up and staying that way with bottled water and C/D food, and yes Salana that may have been what I was taking. It was a wonder drug at the time!

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:07 pm

Mine came in a brown glass dropper bottle and was clear like the baytril and smelled the same. Also stated the same concentration as the oral med. What do you think I might have? Perhaps I can call the vet in the morning and ask them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:57 pm

Oop. Sorry, I didn't know the answer to your question and got side tracked. Sometimes you can find these things out by using google to search veterinary pharmacies (they list all ingredients).

TexCavy

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:13 pm

Thanks. Will try that.

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:50 pm

I thought the information I found might be useful to add. Baytril Otic drops, as Seffy stated, typically contain Silver Sulfadiazine which is a sulfa drug used to treat bacterial or fungus infections. It is normally used in topical medications. Especially for preventing infection in burn patients. However I did find one reference to its use, or a similar product, in liquid ingestible form for humans. (The silver product and not the Baytril, that is.)

After reading many of the links I came up with in my search I am uncertain if I have straight baytril or if the Silver Sulfadiazine has been added to to it, but it makes ense that it would have been for the ear infection Rupert had. Which healed quickly and without head tilt thanks goodness.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:16 am

Board fairies: Can this be moved into the Reference Forum? Most of the initial info is stuff I refer people to on a fairly regular basis. If I was thinking at the time, I would have put it there in the first place.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:11 am

Funny, but I thought it was there already. I'll be happy to move it.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:36 pm

Thanks!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Just to update:

The veterinary profession has found that dosing all animals every 24 hours (instead of every 12 hours) is preferential. For cavies, the dose is still 10-20 mg/kg q24h.