Prolapsed tear gland/Cherry eye?

pigpal

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:20 pm

Harry has developed a small pink lump bulging from the inner corner of his eye.

If he was a dog, I would say it looked like "Cherry Eye", i.e. a prolapsed lacrimal gland in the third eyelid. Dogs with this condition need surgery to prevent "dry eye" occurring.

My question is, can guinea pigs develop a similar condition? Do they even have a tear gland in this location?

If so, what´s the usual treatment?

lisam

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:48 pm

I assume you know for sure that it is not pea eye?

Otherwise, I don´t know anything that may be of help to you.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:01 pm

It´s different from any Pea Eye that I´ve seen. I would describe Pea Eye as a sagging of the lower eyelid, with the yellowish conjunctival tissue exposed.

This is a reddish-pink protusion, round and raised, like.....well, like a cherry. It doesn´t seem to bother him at all, although it seems to vary in size and degree of redness. I´ve been putting BNP opthalmic ointment on it, twice a day, but it´s not helping.

This is what it looks like, sometimes more red, with no discharge:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cherry_eye.html
Last edited by pigpal on Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:22 pm

I suppose it could be Pea Eye, if if Pea Eye can be in that location? I´ve only seen it in the lower eyelid, but maybe it can be elsewhere, I really don´t know.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:31 pm

The lump is larger and redder this morning. Having researched the subject further I have decided to consult my vet.

From "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs" by V.C.G. Richardson:

Fatty Eye (or Pea Eye)
This is a term used to describe a permanent protrusion of the lower conjunctival sac. This condition is most common in Self-Whites, Blacks and Creams and also Rexes. It is thought to be an inherited condition.

Red Eye ( or Cherry Eye)
This is a term used to describe a similar protrusion of the lower conjunctival sac. However, in contrast to "fatty eye" this condition is not present all the time but appears at times of stress or when the eye is exposed to irritant substances..."

Steroid eye drops were suggested as treatment for Red Eye/Cherry Eye.

In some cases, Pea Eye has reportedly been reduced in size and inflammation using Lasix.

Other sources say Pea Eye/Fatty Eye is unknown in long coated breeds. Harry is a Peruvian.

Thank you for your help, Lisam.

lisam

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:03 pm

You are welcome. Pinta has had experience with lasix reducing pea eye.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:56 pm

My Pea Eye pigs have their pea eye in the lower part of the lid only. Not in the inner corner.

Kleenmama has pigs with a red and meaty looking Pea Eye in the upper lid area.

When Nigel´s Pea Eye starts to irritate him, a low dose of Lasix for a couple of weeks seems to reduce the size of it so he isn´t bothered anymore. Maybe two or three times a year he requires the Lasix. Before the Lasix we were considering surgery but our vet really didn´t want to muck around with his eye.

I twigged to the Lasix when a pig´s Pea Eye (in both eyes) totally disappeared after a few months on daily Lasix. (She had a heart condition.) Luckily I had photos of her Pea Eye before she went on Lasix to prove to my vet I wasn´t nuts. Massive dramatic change. Like she never had it in the first place.

Unfortunately Lasix IS a harsh drug and the inconvenience of Pea Eye(usually just a cosmetic concern) doesn´t warrant the possible side effects. But it is warranted (for Nigel) when the Pea Eye gets to the point he is squinting in pain.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:05 pm

Have you ever seen or heard of Pea Eye in the inner corner of the eye? KM´s is definitely upper lid?

Looking at the Anatomy diagrams on Hardesty´s site, there"s no conjunctivae in the corner, so it must be the tear gland/Harderian gland protruding. I don´t want to take him to the vet if it´s just Pea Eye.

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:36 pm

Have you ever seen or heard of Pea Eye in the inner corner of the eye? KM´s is definitely upper lid?

Not offhand but I haven´t really paid that much attention. When I saw the pic I thought "Pea Eye". Yes, KM´s was upper lid.

I have had a pig with a plugged tear duct that resulted in constantly oozing watery eye. It looked nothing like the pic. You couldn´t see a thing. I´ve had 2 pigs with Dry Eye and there was no Pea Eye like looking swelling before they were diagnosed.

However, the heart pig whose Pea Eye disappeared was diagnosed with Dry Eye(in one eye) at least a year after she´d been on the Lasix. Her Pea Eye had been long gone.