Train sounding breathing

Cara

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:41 pm

When it rains, it pours. Patch sounds like a train when breathing. I can hear him in the next room. No nasal discharge, no eye crusties, no lethargy. He´s eating, drinking, and pooing normally. I´ve heard similiar sounds from him before with no signs of an URI so I dismissed them as maybe allergies to the hay. But this time it´s loud! We are going to the vet tomorrow and while she´s good I like to have pig people´s thoughts before I go. Asthma? Pinta, what do your asthmatic pigs sound like? Would a heart problem with fluid make a pig sound like this?

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:49 pm

I really don´t know what to tell you except that last week, I emailed Pinta in a panic. Charlie sounded exactly like what you,re describing, yet he was active and eating like a horse. Then, after a little while, it went away just by itself. Weird.

Let us know what the vet says. Pinta and others can probably give you a better opinion, though.

Cara

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:55 pm

Yea, it´s a sound horrid enough for me to panic but since he´s sounded like this before but not as loud or rattly, I´m not rushing to the er vet! Neither of the other two that are caged with him sound like that.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:04 pm

Could be asthma or heart. Since it´s an ongoing problem I would suspect it isn´t just something caught in his throat.

Worth checking out but it is hard to accurately diagnose heart problems and asthma. Ultrasound and xrays can help diagnose heart. I don´t think there is any test to diagnose asthma. We have tried drugs that are used for asthma, like prednizone, dexamethasone and terbutaline and assumed asthma when the pig improved.

Cara

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:17 pm

It´s not as loud now that he´s done eating dinner. I"ll see if I can´t get him an ultrasound tomorrow. Thank you!
Last edited by Cara on Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:30 pm

I wonder if it´s going around. Both Nina and Snowflake were pretty noisy for a while today. It went away -- Snowflake used to make funny breathing sounds every once and a while for an hour or two and then nothing.

Sometimes they sound pretty darn wheezy. No other symptoms.

Cara

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:54 pm

Well then, do you think I need to take him to the vet then? I´m already up to my ears in vet bills. Just don´t want to let something harmful go on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:58 pm

I imagine it is playing it safe to take them to the vet. If you are going already, I would try to slip one in as a companion and hope he makes those sounds -- in which case you could ask what it is. I am guessing what you need is a vet with a good ear to listen for lung sounds (fluid in lungs) -- and check out some of the other things Pinta suggested.

You´ll have to decide yourself.

Cara

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:12 pm

Yes, I know I have to decide. The vet will see me tomorrow if I choose. I will take him in. Thank you for the opinions. That´s what I was looking for.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:30 pm

It´s a tough one. Ultrasounds aren´t cheap. And neither are xrays.

Our vet will listen to the lungs first and if they sound off and it´s a chronic situation will go the xray route first. If the xray shows something suspicious that she feels requires more info - then an ultrasound is ordered.

Pigs that are been obviously sick with heart disease symptoms get an xray before being given Lasix. Those xrays show air in stomach, enlarged liver and congested lungs. Sometimes the heart isn´t even visible if the congestion is really bad. Those are enough indications to give the pig Lasix and assume heart problems. If the pig improves with Lasix, it is a confirmation(as much as is really possible most times) of heart problems.

kim

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:14 pm

I had this problem with one of my piggies it turned out he had some fine sawdust found in the woodshavings stuck up his nose he rattled all the time but no sign of any infection or loss of appetite etc. I put a dab of vics vapour rub on his nose once or twice a day eventually he sneezed it out. This may be another cause.

Seansfamily

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:25 pm

I would definitely check out everything in regard to a physical problem. However, my girls can breathe weirdly for extended periods of time and they are okay. I CANNOT hear them from the next room though.

The girls--especially Shelby--sometimes breathe very noisily when they are in a temper and especially when they don´t want to be held. Shelby does this when she panics after I take her out and she thinks the other girls are going to get a treat in her absence. It has never happened! She is the family matriarch. I wouldn´t dare...