Sleeping pigs...

Sumerlei

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:56 am

Now, this may seem like a monumentally idiotic question, however, I´ve been wondering, do guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open or closed?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:56 am

CLOSED!!! But... it´s hard to catch! Good luck! LOL

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:20 am

I think it depends on the pig. Some pigs never seem to close their eyes -- others can be caught sleeping with their eyes closed. I remember someone from CG calling it "ranger sleeping" -- always keeping some awareness of what is going on. I guess the pigs that Pinta found playing dead (to the world) weren´t too concerned with what was going on around them.
Last edited by Lynx on Sat Jan 05, 2002 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jill

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 10:33 am

One of our pigs was dead to the world a while back, and it kind of scared me, but she was just sleeping. Eyes closed - something I had never seen before.

Stargazer49

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 11:56 am

LOL..... I had to chuckle at this one because I´ve WANTED to ask the question but I could see everyone´s eyes rolling and thinking, "Pahlezzzze Girlfriend!" Then one day, my goodness! I was snuggling with my little ChiChi before I got her a playmate and while she was purrrrrrring, she closed her little eyes and sweetly drifted off to sleep. Awwww... it was so sweet. HOWEVER, now that I have a second "daughter" who is a total little minx and forever getting into mischief, I haven´t seen ChiChi close her little eyes since then!! Both of them seem to keep a very OPEN eye on me all the time now, like maybe that´s going to stop me from catching them for my hugs and smoochies I rarely get now!! LOL....... :)

Tara Kate

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:17 pm

ah they indeed sleep with thir eyes closed.

Sumerlei

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:25 am

How cute!

Thanks for the comments and not making me feel like a total looney!

Summer

LauraLynn

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2002 1:52 am

LOL

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:02 am

Mine sleep with their eyes closed, but sometimes they seem entranced and I wonder if they´ve nodded off but are still "alert" or pretending to be, eyes open.

It´s so cute to watch Jules fall asleep. Just like a baby.

my2piggies

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:21 pm

I´ve never caught the girls with their eyes shut, but my first pig would often completely flop out, eyes closed, and not move until you were right next to him freaking out because you thought he wasn´t just asleep.

cavytopia

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:05 am

I´ve never seen my piggies with their eyes shut either. To be honest, until reading this topic I didn´t know they did close their eyes!

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:38 pm

Horse sleep while they stand up when they just take a nap. When they want to sleep "hard", they lie down.

I guess it´s the same with pigs. Most of my pigs sleep with their eyes open when I´m doing stuff around, but you can tell they are still somewhat alert. When they are in a deep sleep, their eyes are closed.

One of my pigs (he died last summer) used to freak me out. He always slept like a dog, all curled up with the chin resting near the back legs. Sometimes, he´d roll over a bit, his eyes would roll in the back of his head and his tongue hung out to the side of his mouth. Do I need to tell you how freaked out I was when I turned around and he was like that? The poor pig probably died from a heart attack after I woke him up screaming and shaking him so many times.