Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:23 pm

Oh that sucks. He was just horribly neglected. Teachers are just too busy to take on a pet thinking the pet can take care of itself. I doubt any of it was on purpose (no excuse). Awful! I'm not understanding why you'd go after the PTA though. What did they have to do with it? If this pet was the teacher's responsibility then she should be accountable.

This may also be something to present with Becky's letter as food for thought when teacher's inquire about having a classroom pet. It would help them to better understand a rescue's point of view and what they have seen and why they have good reason to be weary.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:29 pm

We're not going after the PTA. We're not going after anyone. AC will handle any criminal charges and we'll suck it up and pay for the owner's neglect.

I do think that if the school is going to allow animals in the classrooms, they should be held accountable for their care as well. I can't imagine that no other authority figure in that school never saw the pig or his conditions.

The initial wound and mites were probably not intentional - however, vet care should have been sought a long time ago. That is the unacceptable part. To me, a teacher is more culpable because she is using this animal as an example to impressionable kids that this is an OK way to treat an animal.

Piggster

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Count me in on a donation leebee. It won't be for as much as I'd like, but something is better than nothing.

Julian, sending healing thoughts for your son.

Thinking of both Nelson and Hope as well.

Off topic:
FYI...forgot to bring the nut log for your ratties and the Kaytee pellets last time. Let me know when you'll be at Teresa's so we can coordinate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:18 pm

That stinks. This poor pig must be in terrible pain. The mites, the abscess, easy to treat in contrast to the bumblefoot. It is indeed the worst case I have ever seen.

Let me know if I can use one of your foot photos on the foot page. I would add a short summary that mentioned he is a severely neglected classroom pig.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:23 pm

Looking at those pics almost made me puke. I can't believe the teacher didn't know something was wrong, though she probably did and didn't care.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:37 pm

That is positively horrible. I agree that I doubt there's much that can be done for that foot. Poor little guy. :( I hope that teacher gets in trouble, and I hope the school board will take this case to heart and stop allowing classroom pets, period.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:02 pm

The poor little thing. The neglect of that poor animal is horrifying. How is he acting now that you've got him? I hope he's not in too much pain. If nothing else comes of it, maybe you could force a ban of classroom pets at the school?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:32 pm

leebee, the pet could have sat in the corner with no one watching it anymore (novelty does wear off for kids). In that case they probably aren't getting any lessons on animal care and it's probably not crossing their minds that this is an okay way to treat animals. I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better. OR the other side to the coin was some kid told the teacher about the missing hair (at least you could view it through the cage) and the teacher dismissed it. Obviously the animal wasn't picked up for some time or the foot would have definitely been noticed by a kid (they are very detail oriented). It's sad and it's not only happening in the classroom. It happens from home to home where people just don't care and are too busy to own a pet. I cannot tell you how incredibly busy a classroom is. There is just no time for anything fun anymore.

Juliemarie

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Those pictures are absolutely disgusting. (They look worse than the early pics of Spot.) I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that class pets are a very bad idea. Thank goodness there are people like you, who care.

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 pm

The dark stuff could be poop jammed in and stretching the skin and acting as a giant plug. It's probably acting as a scab and will be very messy and bloody when removed. Best left to a vet unless you are prepared with pressure bandages to stop any bleeding.

I would clean it out first and xray to check bone involvement before going direct to amputation. It could be a case of the size of the paw being due to foreign matter.

If the swelling is limited to the foot and the ankle is normal, the foot may be savable. I don't know how useable it will be but we did have a pig with a bad foot infection that resulted in the bones being eaten away in his paw. We got the infection under control and he just ended up with a limp.

If he's walking on the foot and not showing signs of pain, that's a good sign.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Imagine how much those kids could learn just by seeing the cops come into the school and handcuff the teacher and principal and lead them out to patrol cars.

Wouldn't that be great? :-)

At least the foot is pink. Maybe there is a chance?

Good luck and God Bless.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Wouldn't that be great? :-)

No, not really.