Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Josephine,

If you could take him in to foster, that would be awesome. He was scheduled to come here next week. I truly have my hands full with Nelson and Hope but I couldn't turn him away when Leah called.

skooters mommy

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:52 am

Those pictures make me sick to my stomach. People are such idiots. You are wonderful for helping the poor little guy.

monikers
By the Cavy Cosmos!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 am

After reading two pages of posts after looking at the photos, I still sit here with my mouth hanging open!! Best of luck with this little guy, and with edumacating the ignorant hordes. I feel your pain.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I do think that if the school is going to allow animals in the classrooms, they should be held accountable for their care as well.

This, really, is at the heart of the matter. There are good teachers and bad teachers. Any human being, teacher or not, that would first, allow this type of suffering in a living creature, and second, "dispose" of the animal instead of caring for it, is not a very good person. Period. The fact that this person happens to abuse their animal in a school setting just makes it that much sadder.

So, yes, the teacher is culpable, but so is the administration for allowing this to happen. Any administrator (busy as they are) that allows animals but doesn't check on their welfare, also deserves some measure of culpability.

But ultimately, if we're in the business of education (and we are--it's the reason this board is here), then getting the word out means getting to the parents in a school. I've said this a million times. It's the parents that yield the most power in making these types of changes.

I'd like to see each and every person on this board with schoo-aged kids to print out the pictures of this pig, along with reasonable information (that is, nothing inflammatory--the pictures really express this the best), and take it to their school just as a heads-up on what can happen when there are animals in the classroom. Then, go to your district office and demmand that animals not be allowed in elementary classrooms anywhere in the district. Again, be armed with reasonable information. Don't be mad. Be informed.

I know nothing about starting up legislation, but it may be time to look into it.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:13 pm

I just gotta figure out plans and I will call my vet next week to see what's what.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Excellent post and excellent idea, Becky. Classroom pets are not allowed in our elementary school district. I did not know that until I looked into it today, and I'm planning on a writing a letter in support of that rule to the superintendent next week.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:03 pm

Josephine, bless you for helping him. His care will not be easy and Julian really does have hands full. Thank you so much for caring for him.

leebee

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:00 am

The nasty scab came off today. There was still a bunch of junk underneath it, but at least the soak can get to it now. He's a trooper.

He's got an absolutely awful case of impaction. He's sick of me shoving q-tips up his butt.

He needs a name. Any thoughts?

Juliemarie

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:03 am

Braveheart,

..............or Hoppy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:14 am

A scab off the foot? I forget, have you done the xray yet?

twofinepigs

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:54 am

The girls say George is a very good name, and the sweet shelter pig isn't using it after all, so they think it ought to go to Mr. Owwie-Feets.

Also, thank you leebee, both girls say we should fit one more pig in our C&C, and they both think they can fit a C&C in their rooms, so we would have more space to help pigs that need homes. Freakin' bleeding heart kids.

leebee

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:21 am

No x-ray yet. Josephine will probably have that done, as she gets a better discount.

Here's the photos of the scab and foot, and of his soaking routine.

Outside of scab - this is the side he was walking on:

Inside of scab - closest to wound:

Foot after scab removal:

For comparison sake, this was his foot with the scab on: