Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

pinta

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Josephine will need to find out if that white stuff is involving bone and cartilage or just dead tissue. Does it smell? If it doesn't smell you may be off the hook for infection. He'll definitely have to have it wrapped - I suggest a gel bandage to reduce the chance of stuff sticking to gauze. You can put a blob of antibacterial ointment on the wound before you put on the gel.

gel bandage, gauze figure 8 wrap around gel bandage. Vet wrap around gauze. tape around top of ankle to keep bangage on.

There is a spray available that enhances granulation on large surface wounds. Ask your vet.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:05 am

Honey. Honey is AWESOME for reducing edema and encouraging granulation. Much better than Granulex (the yellow spray we used to use to encourage granulation tissue). It'll help get rid of that necrosing tissue (the gray gross stuff) and is a strong antimicrobial.

I am making plans to pick up the guy on Thursday. We'll get it figured out. My vet will work him up the following Wednesday. I have a feeling comprehensive rads and bloodwork are in order. He will need the bloodwork periodically if we will do NSAIDS long-term. I'm planning on keeping him on systemic antibiotics and extra C definitely. Ivermectin, etc. I have set-up for a fleece-lined 2 x 4 C & C.

Teresa

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:06 am

Cool! We love you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:55 am

I would love to see periodic pics of the foot to show how it is (hopefully) improving. I so much want this pig to make it.

leebee

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:31 am

He is getting his foot wrapped now. He complains a little, but leaves it alone. He's such a good boy. I have been using gauze, I'll look into the gel bandages. The foot doesn't smell, at least not noticeably.

His impaction got better nearly overnight. Yesterday morning, he had yucky, stinky, clumpy poops. Now, although he needs help getting them out of his pouch, his poops are perfect and well formed. Maybe he figured out the hay?

He loves the organic mix from Trader Joe's, romaine, dandelion greens, red leaf, apples and oranges, but will not eat tomato or red pepper. He likes to chew on anything that he's not supposed to (newspaper, towels, lettuce bag). He stays in his soaking tub until I walk away and then he hops out the minute he can't see me anymore. He's quite the character.

whittibo

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Those pictures are just horrendous!! I hope his suffering will help other teachers see class room pets are NOT a good idea!

He is adorable! I hope his foot can be saved!

rachelm

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:27 pm

He sounds like he's going to be a pig with a big personality!

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:26 pm

Wow, what a huge difference the soakings have made. I hope this little guy continues to get better.

Tammy

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:32 pm

You're amazing Leah.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 am

He's on his way to Josephine later this morning. Leah dropped him off last night. His foot is already showing improvement. Leah shed a few tears when she left. He really tugs at your heart.

He is such a sweet people pig. Between him and Nelson, I just can't fathom how anyone could treat such sweet animals in such a cruel way. They are both pigs that crave human interaction.

Maybe because they have known torture that the big scary hand holds no fear after that?

whittibo

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 am

Ah, he sounds so sweet! I am so glad he found his way to you guys.

tbull78

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:22 am

leebee, you are wonderful. This little guy was so lucky that you were able to save him from anymore pain in the situation that he was in. I hope everything works out for the best and he doesn't have to suffer anymore. I hate to think that an educator can abuse an inncocent animal with children at an educational setting and be allowed to get away with it with no recourse.