Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Geez Louise! You are picky. I'll see what I can find online. It's something you use in veterinary medicine, but there are different scales (some are like 10-point, too). I prefer BCS to weights, since sometimes pigs are wasted away or gain ascites and their weights don't change much (or increase), but their overall body condition changes.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:40 pm

Here's the one I learned from: Hill's BCS Chart for Dogs and Cats There isn't a chart that I know of for cavies, so I just use it as a guide. Also, 2.5 is pretty much ideal (not 3 as the chart suggests). 3 would be considered heavy by many standards. When I showed dogs, we used to like them to be about 3 for show condition. 2.5 was maintenance.

Becky

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Link isn't working for some reason.

Is this like those charts you see at the vet, with an overhead view of skinny to obese cats and/or dogs? If so, what would be the guinea pig equivalent?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Hmmm... The link works for me. It's probably like the charts you've seen, Becky. The pig I have has a definite waist and protruding hip bones. The BCS system has allotments for how well you can feel bones, ribs, hips, spines, etc. I'm sure the humane organizations use something similar to evaluate their starvation cases.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:39 pm

Here's another one: BCS Chart

I found a mass on his right shoulder that needs to get checked out. It's subcutaneous and mobile, so I'm hoping it's lipoma-ish. Bandage change today went well. His wound is almost closed! YEAH, HONEY!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:46 pm

Why and how does honey work so well as a granulation enhancer?

Hope the mass isn't anything serious.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:54 pm

Here's a nice summary: Honey and Wound Care

And a specialized preparation: MediHoney

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:02 pm

That is fascinating. Thanks.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:48 am

Well, while the foot is progressing, now the rest of the pig doesn't look so hot. I left a bowl of CC and grain this morning that wasn't touched when I got home from work. He looks fluffed. I skipped his Baytril and meloxicam. I can't risk either one of those causing problems. I have yet to get bloodwork on this pig. Wednesday!

I gave him warmed SQ fluids w/B vits since he does look dehydrated a bit (or emaciated) to the point where the skin snap-back test is definitely positive for dehydration. He seems fairly bright, but maybe less steady and fluffed up. Darn it. I also got about 15 mls of CC slurry into him tonight. He seems to eat his Romaine, but hasn't finished it. His pouch was full of well-formed, moderate-sized poops. His GIT seems to have poops forming. He feels fuller than he did last night. I'm worried, though.

rachelm

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 am

That is worrying. I hope the little guy pulls through.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:17 am

Gee, I hope he comes round too!

whittibo

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 am

OH NO!! I hope he gets better!