Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

You've both been angels to this poor little guy - he's so sweet, I really hope he can make a good recovery.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah, he definitely holds up his left foot some. I'm going to try to restart the meloxicam today and hope that helps with the inflammation.

leebee

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:58 pm

We make an awesome team! I pull 'em, you heal 'em. :)

I am seriously astonished that he may not need amputation. I thought for sure he would when I picked him up at the shelter. You are so great, and he is such a fighter.

Piggster

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:07 pm

He is such a darling little boy, what a face!

A big thanks to leebee and Josephine for saving him!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 pm

The front feet look much better. Don't remember what the back feet looked like. Would be great to get a nice crisp pic if Leebee ever comes by with her super camera (did she take the first pics? They were super!)

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Bless you for helping him and bringing him this far.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Yeah, Leah took the first pics. My parents' digital camera was the one I used this morning. I don't have one. Unfortunately, the resolution is not that great and Leah lives more than an hour's drive away. About 2 hours with my recent move, I think.

The bloodwork came back looking good. A little stress leukogram, I think, but I made the mistake of doing that AFTER the x-rays. At least there are no warning bells there.

I am so pleased his attitude is perkier, too. Monday night, he was sitting sternally (on all fours, upright), fluffed, and had his nose hitting the ground. I thought for sure he was a goner. I'm sure he's not out of the woods 100%, but I must have done something right. I wonder if the Baytril or the pellets were the major contributing factor. The force-feeding and fluids helped, but I'm sure there was something causing the inappetance.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm

What a cute little guy. He looks so much better! You two are angels.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:35 pm

I was scared to click on this thread but I'm glad I did. Good news and great work from you guys.

pinta

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:54 am

I'll bet it was the Baytril causing him imappetance. The swollen paws could be related to the heart. Is he on heart meds yet? I wonder if some of the swelling is fluid that lasix would help.

Once the paw is more healed you could try a pressure bandage to mimic support hose. I've reduced swelling this way on a few heart pigs' feet.

We've had excellent results from using Fortekor and vetmedin(?) concurrently.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:29 pm

He has no appreciable edema anywhere in the rest of his body--either upon physical exam or rads. While I would like to ECHO his heart, I really don't think I should start him on diuretics or other heart stuff right now. He has no ascultable murmur (not that it means he doesn't have a murmur).

He's gaining weight. Up to about 1010g last night. I am worried about the disk stuff. Still hopping. Way too busy at work on Friday to get the radiologist to consult on his rads. I put him back on meloxicam and no problems thus far. I do suspect the Baytril as his problem. I will probably get him on SMZ-TMP next. Onward and upward, I hope.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Any animal physios in your area? Cynthia has worked wonders on my arthritic pigs with laser treatments and is using a pulsating laser to try and get rid of calcium deposits in Arthur's knees. The space that's supposed to be empty for bending is completely taken up with calcium.

Sounds like laser treatment could help with the disk.