Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

luvmypigs2

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:38 am

That's great news! Thanks for the update! I've been thinking about him and was wondering how he was doing. Go Rhett!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:45 am

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to him being with a companion too.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Bless you for caring for him, and saving his foot.

tcarey
The Zen of Pigs

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:05 pm

This is the first time I've read this thread. I am so amazed at Rhett's plight and recovery - thank you Josephine and Leebee for saving and caring for this indefatigable pig.

pinta

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:09 am

If his ear margin is changing colour, he should go on heart meds. Do you have access to Fortekor?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 pm

No, silly, but I have a ton of enalapril. Yes, you told me so!
I'll check later on the availability of benazepril.

luvmypigs2

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 pm

I been wondering how is Rhett doing? Did he get to move in with your other boar? Any updated pics of the little sweetheart?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:06 pm

Not yet. I'm clearing him soon! Just a bit wary to put him in with my healthy pig until I'm 100% sure we got all the mites.

He's doing well on heart meds, but his foot is a constant watch. I'm hoping to get new pics in the next few days. His coat is almost 100% grown in. He's such a good boy.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat May 20, 2006 11:35 pm

New Pics! Rhett is doing fabulously. He just moved in with Ciel about a week ago and the two are acting like they've known each other forever. Very easy transition.

Side View1
Side View 2
Rhett and Ciel
Rhett's Front Paws
Right Ear Margin
Left Ear Margin

Ear margin pic:

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat May 20, 2006 11:46 pm

The left ear margin is missing a chunk out of it where his perfusion was so bad prior to starting heart meds. The dark line on the edge of the ear is where the circulation is poor. This can be hard to evaluate where pigs have very dark or black pigment. Also to be mentioned is poor pigment, especially in red or varieties with red as a color since dark or black pigment can be a normal finding in a poor quality red-colored pig. This is a disqualification (or used to be) for the show ring and happens specifically with some modifier (can't remember one of the c-ones).

Becky

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 12:10 am

OK, now say that last part again in stoopit, 'cause I don't understand the pigment part.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun May 21, 2006 12:11 am

The color of the skin=pigment. Is that stoopud enough?

Black or dark gray-rimmed ears can be a sign of poor coloring or of dying or dead skin (which can be a sign of poor circulation with heart disease).