Spot is limping

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:50 pm

Hi everyone - I had the boys out for floor time this morning and after about an hour, I noticed Spot was limping. There is no visible injury, and I rubbed my finger lightly across his foot pad to see if there was a sliver of wood or glass in there. He didn´t squeal at all while I was examining him, just squirmy because I had him on his back.

I hoped he had just twisted an ankle or something (do pigs have ankles?) or maybe a toenail got caught in the rug on the floor and pulled it a bit. So I put the boys back in their cages and left for about 5 hours. I just got back and Spot is still limping. Is it vet time or can you think of another reason he might be limping?

Again, other than not putting weight on his foot, he doesn´t seem to be in pain.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:27 pm

If he´s still limping tomorrow, a vet visit is a good idea to rule out arthritis. Yes, limps from arthritis can show up suddenly. The pigs just reaches a point where they can´t compensate anymore. And weather can affect it too.

But he might have just twisted it or bumped it - if that´s the case it should be a bit better by tomorrow.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:37 pm

Thanks pinta - I just called the emergency line at my vet´s office. They agreed with you in that it´s probably not critical. They told me to keep an eye on him and make sure he´s still eating and drinking and not wincing.

Spot´s a year and a half old; can arthritis set in that early? Also, it was a beautiful sunny day here, 70 F so I doubt it would be the weather.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:40 pm

Yeah, certain types of arthritis can set in early. Soot has very bad arthritis in her shoulder and she was diagnosed when she was probably 2 1/2.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:50 pm

Well I hope that´s not the case. I´ll let you know what happens.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:13 am

Spot is still limping this morning but is at least touching his foot down lightly while walking. I plan to come home on my lunch hour to check him out again.

pinta, do you think that´s a good call? Or should I get him to the vet immediately? I can take him to the vet today if necessary.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:56 pm

It´s a judgement call. If his foot is touching down, I´d say he was improving, but only you can really judge.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:02 pm

I just went home at lunch. It does seem to be improving. He´s actually putting a little weight on it. His appetite is just as ferocious as ever so I think he´s fine.

This always happens. Whenever I plan to leave town, something happens to Spot. Maybe he´s on to my travel plans and is trying to get me to stay... clever piggy.

Thanks for your reassurance pinta!

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:18 pm

Despite the "Evil and Dreaded" title, isn´t Pinta swell?

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:17 am

Swell???? Don´t make me puke.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:37 am

Oh, Pinta. You´re sweller than swell!
You´re so nice, you should have been a Newfoundlander. :)

Sunny

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:49 am

I´d say "swell" about sums it up.