Picture taking tips for dark pigs

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:42 pm

Here is a picture of beautiful Tallahassee. Since she is a black pig, it´s very hard to take pics and not have them show up as dark blobs! So, I get a torchiere lamp (on of those that shine out the top) and bend it down to totally flood the pig in light. Then snap!

Sometimes you might have to keep working with it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:50 pm

Iknow what you mean about dark pigs. I have a terrible time taking pics of Nina. I´ve dragged her out into bright sunlight and it is still tough. And when I do get a nice clear pic, the dandruff looks awful. At least now she doesn´t seem to have any but it does stand out when a dark pig does.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:54 pm

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily, I have had none of the blacks with that trouble. I´m not sure why this pic is kind of blurry. On my camera and on the photo program on my computer, it is very clear. On the board, her eyes look kind of blurry.

Alfie

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:06 am

That´s fantastic, KM. I must see if I can dig up a torch to try it.

On a slightly connected note, my camera´s doing strange things I don´t understand. I take pictures which are beautifully clear, with the colour apparently perfect (on the preview pane), but then when I transfer them to the computer they´re a lot darker. I´ve had to use Adobe to lighten them, but then the quality is affected. Anyone know what I (or the computer) could be doing wrong?

(Tallahassee´s gorgeous, BTW.)

--
Ooh! I just noted my new title. Fangs a lot, Lynx!
Last edited by Alfie on Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:21 am

Hmm, I ´ve never had my camera do that, so I am absolutely no help on that.

Thanks, she is a beautiful pig. Pigs like this are the reason blacks are my most favorite.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:06 am

What kind of camera are you using? There may be some setting which will affect the light levels (there is in mine, but I don´t know how to change it).

LJPiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:39 am

Kleenmama,

Will have to try that with my Dyna. Seem to never get a good picture even outside, the sun just seems to bounce off and make her look darker. BTW Tallahasee is a gorgeous little piggie.

Jenn

cavy slave for life

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:59 pm

KM-
Oh, this is too funny!

I think you mean "torchère". "Torchière" sounds a little too much like "torcher" and would litterally mean "a woman who wipes butts".

Jill

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:22 pm

LOL

Piggylass

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:29 pm

I just got a new digital camera for Xmas. I too usually have problems taking pics of Poppy, my self black, but this one turned out ok. I took it outside on a reasonably dull day...

Jill

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:36 pm

Great photo piggylass.

Seansfamily

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:49 pm

Black beauties for sure!

Does anyone have any tips for photographing satins? We never could get photos to show just how shiny our Janet was. Her sheen was terrific, but you wouldn´t know that from photos.