Thank U + Bad news

Smudge

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:25 am

A few weeks ago I posted about my 6year old boar. From all your advice I took him back to a new vet, who gave him a vitamin c injection and rehydrated him. By the time I got him home he´d perked up alot, still stiff but alot happier.
An abcess came up last week, it didnt get a head, but on friday it started leaking a watery-bloody substance, that smelt awful. On saturday he didnt seem quite right, I couldnt put my finger on it, but I knew something was wrong. On Sunday when I picked him up his underneather felt like it was full of water, his eyes looked glazed, but he still ate and drank. I phoned the vet for an appointment on Monday. Monday came and he still looked ok. But by the afternoon he couldnt stand up. When we got him to the vet he was gasping quite badly.
Sadly he had to be put to sleep. He had oedema, due to kidney and liver faliure.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:29 am

I´m so sorry he couldn´t have had another year with you. I´m sorry for your loss.

Sonia

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:45 am

I am so sorry about your little one. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:02 am

I´m sorry.

bats

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:38 am

Same here. A lot of bonding happens between owner and pig in six years. This must hurt.

Listen -- you clearly are a caring person. So when you are up to it, consider giving another pig a good home. It won´t replace your boar, but it will help both you and the guinea pig.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:40 pm

It´s never easy to lose a pet, especially after six years together. You must have been looking after him well for him to make it to that age.

I second Bats suggestion. When you feel ready it would be a wonderful way of honoring his memory to give another pig (or pigs) an opportunty to experience a loving home of their own There are so many waiting in rescues and shelters for a caring person like you.

Smudge

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:54 pm

Thank you very much for your kind words.
It´s been very hard losing him and I understand what you mean about giving a pig a home. I have 13, a huge run, full off girls, another pair of boars and two sows. I have a good bond with the two boars and two girls. BUt the big herd kind of like their own company. It would be nice to fill the empty space, but I still have my hands full, at least. I might phone my local rescue tomorrow.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:11 pm

Warm wheeks to you. It´s always hard to love something so much.

Kara

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:55 pm

I´m very sorry about your loss. It´s such a difficult thing to go through. How lucky you guys had each other for 6 years though! I´m sure he had a great life with you. Giving a home to a rescue would be terrific way to honor his memory.

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:09 pm

It amazes me how deep into our hearts these little guys can get. So very soory. As others have said, what a great life you´ve given him.

Seansfamily

Post   » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:53 pm

I´m so very sorry for your loss of what must have been a very special boar. You gave him the best of care and he died knowing how much he was loved.

Congratulations to you on giving him 6 wonderful years.