Rehome Male Columbus, OH

arealswellgirl

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:55 pm

I never thought I'd write a posting to rehome a guinea pig, or any pet in general. I'm a huge advocate of adoption and we've adopted several since 2009 (although I've had guinea pigs longer than that). I'm at the point where my heart hurts from losing them and need to take a break indefinitely.

Our current pig is about 2 years old, neutered, super spunky, hence the name Napoelon. We adopted him from the humane society; he was alone and very scared. We matched him with our male Franklin who was alone because his mate Frodo had unexpectedly died after a bladder stone surgery. Napoleon and Franklin had some good times; they were together from February 2020 to November 2020. Franklin died of bloat last November and Napoleon has been alone since and it hurts to see him without a mate. We haven't adopted another pig because we don't want to keep going through this cycle of losing one and having a lone pig. I don't want to give him up, but he is a social pig (with other pigs, not so much humans...yet) and he needs someone or a herd to be with.

I'm willing to drive a few hours from Columbus, OH. My radius being from Indianapolis, to Toledo, to Zanesville, to Cincinnati. He is currently in a C&C 6x2 and he NEEDS at least this amount of space. He runs very fast laps around every day! Of course he's fed 3rd cut timothy unlimited and he eats a lot of hay. He prefers it over pellets even. We've used KMS since 2009 for all our pigs, but recently started mixing with Oxbow Garden Select because of KMSs supply issues. He also gets fresh greens once a day with bell pepper. He needs to have the same level of love in a place that has regular vet visits with a savvy pig owner.

I don't mind, if you're close, if you'd like to have a play date to see if they're a good fit. He would love that I think :) I'd really like that all guinea pig items be taken as well including the food. I have a KMS bucket filled with 10 pound mixture of KMS/Oxbow, an unopened Oxbow garden select 4 pounds, a bunch of toys from SPS, some hideys, igloos, tunnels, an unopened bag of critical care 1 lb, the C&C squares (no coroplast though. Ours is very old and has been cut up a lot of times to fit in different places we've lived lol. But if you wanna take it you can), and of course a bag of dried tomato flakes from SPS which he is very fond of. I also have a lot of extra supplies I've accumulated over the years which is also up for grabs. I will donate anything left over.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 pm

How far would Sellersburg, IN be to you? There is a guinea pig rescue there that I have worked with for many years. She just recently re-opened the rescue's doors after taking a break from it for a few months. I know she has had surrenders and adoptions from the Cincinnati area in the past, as I think a couple of other GP rescues in the vicinity have permanently shut down. She may have a waiting list, though.

I do understand how you feel. I have been there so many times, and know how heartbreaking and emotionally exhausting loss after loss can be. I also get the perpetual cycle.

Can you post a picture of the little guy?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:19 pm

There is a fairly new guinea pig rescue, Woopsadaisy Guinea Pig Rescue, in Asheville Ohio. They would probably due a courtesy post for you.

Best of luck to you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Woopsadaisy? LOL.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Sounds like surprise pups!