A Guinea Pig in Need, is a Good Pet Indeed or, Why Adopt?

Cavyhome

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 9:59 am

Yes, people do feed guinea pigs to snakes, that is why no one should offer them free in newspaper ads. This particular place was a crummy pet store. My friend bought him and his sister before they were fed to their snake. Then I took him. Sometimes I guess you have to rescue them from pet stores too.

Wheekers3

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 10:37 am

Sometimes, yes, it does become apparent that it is in the best interest of the animal.

I once saw and ugly old white guinea pig ( hard to believe, I know- but I am being honest here ) with a big metal tag ( um, hello, lab?!) in his ear at PetStupid for something like 6 months. It was breaking my heart to see him.

I wanted to free him from his captors. He was not a quick sale. :(

eliz375

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 pm

CavyHome:

Our first guinea pig was from a pet store. We got him before I knew of such a thing as a cavy rescue or that animal shelters have so many poor homeless piggies. Although the other three piggies we've had have all been rescue pigs, I don't regret buying Reese for a moment. As you said, sometimes we need to rescue from a pet store.

Reese was older than all of his cage mates at the store because he had been there for two weeks longer. The lady said no one would buy him because he was so ugly. He was actually an absolutely gorgeous agouti--so gorgeous that a woman later offered me money to use him for breeding (I said no.). Only the tri-color pigs were being purchased, so he was about to be returned to the breeder for God knows what. Anyway, while I'm standing there watching him nibble on the sign that listed the price of a guinea pig, a guy showed him to his girlfriend. Seems his snake had gotten too large for single rats and she refused to let him feed a bunny to a snake. He had chosen Reese because he was the largest of the pigs, the others not being much larger than a rat. I heard this and couldn't imagine such a cute little guy becoming snake food. I told the guy that we had already agreed to buy the little guy and were just waiting for something to take him home in. The man was ticked and stormed out to go buy rats. My husband walked over and said, "Did we just buy a guinea pig?" I've been hooked on piggies ever since.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:12 pm

You don't rescue from a pet store - you buy. Your purchase puts $ into the pet store's pocket and is replaced by two more babies from their pet mill/breeder.

Very few people are going to pay $30 for a guinea pig to feed one to their snake.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Here is a little bit about the system pet store animals come from. It is a horrible hell from beginning to end.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46409

From mill breeder to broker to distributor to retail outlet, this entire system promotes impulse purchases of living beings as things, sold along with inappropriate supplies to people who want a temporary toy with no intention of ever properly caring for them for life.

I've no doubt you saved Reese's life, and I'm sure you love him. Many (if not most) of us started out where you are, and it's to your credit you now adopt from rescues. But the link above will give you some idea of why we are so adamant the system should not, and cannot, be supported in any way, shape or form.

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:46 am

Carmella made the local newspaper!

Her image now sits in some 80,000 households.

I wish I could give you a link, I searched online, but could not find one.

It is a picture of her in her brown-eyed susan costume. I could barely believe my eyes when I saw it early this am. I was so excited I crinkled the page running it out to Mr. Wheekers, who was warming his car up in the driveway.

I don't know it happened. She must have snuck on the computer late at night, while we slept, and submitted her picture to "Pets of the Week". :)

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Cool, Wheekers3!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Yay, Carmella! How cute. She has been sneaky, hasn't she?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Carmella, you are a star!

She is so gorgeous. :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:32 pm

She deserves to be in every paper in the country.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 pm

Oooh lala, that is so cool.
The expression of Carmella standing in front of the newspaper is priceless,..
"who, me, famous? Why thank you.