A Guinea Pig in Need, is a Good Pet Indeed or, Why Adopt?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 pm

Now now, that is a well deserved celebration. :)
Happy birthday!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Warmth is indeed great in the winter! I used to use an under-shelf stick heater (low temp) to provide a nice amount of warmth for my pigs.

Yes, indeed, Happy Birthday to her! Hope there are many more!

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:53 am

Happy belated birthday, Baby!

Wheekers3

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Carmella passed away in her sleep Tues, May 10, 2011.

She was a beautiful precious little girl who lived a long much loved life.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I am so sorry. She was doubtlessly loved beyond measure.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm sorry.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm so sorry. She was a cherished girl, and had such a wonderful life in your home.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm so sad for you. You gave her a wonderful life.

Sleep well, Carmella. You are loved.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Godspeed and safe passage, Carmella. Rest well. You will always be loved and remembered.

Know that by those that read your story and chose to adopt, you have saved other lives as well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:14 am

This little girl was almost certainly an impulse purchase at a pet store. Even if she was not, thousands ... tens of thousands ... of pet store purchases, on impulse, for children too small to care for them and adults unwilling to take firm responsibility, meet her fate of abuse, neglect, painful suffering and death.

Retailers (the big chains as well as mom-and-pop stores) buy small animals from mill breeders. Some sources say that over 50% of the guinea pigs in mill breeding operations (any animal can be milled, and most are, not just puppies and kittens), sold to brokers, sent to distributors (where conditions are equally as horrific as those found at mill breeders) and then sent to retail chains, don't make it. Over 50%. They are shipped in Tupperware-like containers slightly larger than something you'd put a sandwich in with a few holes punched in the top. Then they're put on a sales floor, many far too young to be away from their mothers, many (most) ill, many (most) with parasites, then bought on impulse by purchasers who have done little or no research into their needs. The chains will tell you they do a modicum of screening and any employee can refuse a sale. Yeah. Right. That's PR and nothing else.

This little pig made it through the hell of the mill breeder-broker-distribution-retail chain to be tossed around like a football for four months, then to die, in pain, hungry and thirsty in a home where no one cared about her, no one cared for her, no one took responsibility for her well-being.

She is not alone.

If you are new to Guinea Lynx and reading this for the first time, the only person who can break this chain is you. Don't purchase from a pet store. Adopt a healthy, well-cared-for, vet-checked pig from a rescuer who will help match a pig's personality to your household.

Don't let this little girl's suffering and death be for nothing. Help break the chain by choosing to adopt your next pet.

Celia

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 am

Im very new in the forum. I just read this thread... im still crying...
I live in Southamerica, in Chile exactly.. There is no rescues here, not even for dogs or cats, they wandering the streets with no or little help.
I really dont understand how you can be so cruel with a guinea baby, they are so lovable, just asking for love...

Thank god exist people who can be so loving and caring with these little furry angels..

Blessings from Chile :)

Aharona

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:44 pm

I hope this is the right place to say this, but bless all of you who have devoted yourselves to animal rescue. Yesterday I was home all day with my sick son, and we were parked in front of the TV watching Animal Planet. They had a "Pit Bulls and Parolees" marathon on, and it just pulled at my heart to see the love and dedication these folks had to rescuing and caring for the dogs. When we adopted our piggy we inquired at the rescue nearest to us, but found the application intimidating and invasive (and ultimately went for adoption at a animal shelter that was closer to our home and a simpler process). However, having watched this show all day yesterday, I understand the extensiveness of the application process in a whole different light. If we have the space/ability to add a friend for our piggy in the future, I will definitely reach out to the rescue as a first priority!