Rescues and Shelters

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:33 pm

I would like to take a moment, in the interest of solving this problem (and also to keep my head from spinning off like a top into space and imploding), to address the issue of the relationship between rescues and shelters.

I want the shelter workers to understand that rescues (at least the ones I know) are not inherently disdainful of them, but that this attitude may come about through prolonged aggravation with shelter procedures that frustrate our efforts to save animals.

I will illustrate this with a story.

First, forget about the fact that the 13 PHS pigs sent down to me from Teresa were initially swiped from the shelter (after the shelter had agreed to hold them for us) by a breeder/collector who already had 200 pigs and Teresa and PigPal had to chase this woman down to get the pigs back.

Also, forget about the 9 Martinez pigs who were taken by a dog/cat rescue who didn't even know what to do with them (after the shelter had agreed to hold them for us) while our volunteer was en route to pick them up, and finally we managed to track them down and send the volunteer back to get them (she was on her way out of town and turned back).

Let's forget about these two incidents. I want to talk about what happened today.

When I was at the city shelter on Thursday, I found out that they had 2 guinea pigs, a couple of 4 week old sows. I told the shelter worker (who knows me, I come there every week to feed the rabbits) that I would call her in a little while if I found a place for them. Well, I found a foster home and called back and said that I would be at the shelter today at 2:00 to pick up the guinea pigs. They said ok, we'll put a hold on them.

Well, my hearing or theirs must be going because apparently what I really asked them to do was sell the poor guinea pigs for snake food, because that is what they did with one of them in the meantime. I found this out when I came, with the foster family, to pick them up.

Not only that, but while I am waiting in line, I overhear this conversation at the window:

"I'm sorry, that guinea pig is on hold."
"No, no, the person at the desk told me that I could have it because it was only on hold by a rescue. They said anybody could have it."
"Oh, ok, I see. Let me get your name and address--"

At which point I stepped up to the window (with the already distraught fosters behind me) and politely told the man inquiring that I had the hold on the guinea pig. He held out a sick-looking, emaciated young guinea pig and said that he was looking for a friend for her. I gave him my information and told him to contact me and we would talk about it.

So in the end I had to send the frightened, lonely 4 week old sow to a foster home and a big C & C cage by herself to be quarantined for 3 weeks and why? Because I am "only a rescue." And the other choice was to let her go to someone who already had one horribly neglected guinea pig. And good news, there is one less hungry snake in the world.

Can someone tell me where the logic is in this? Four dollars is four dollars, right? Someone mentioned in another thread that shelters get calls to hold animals from people who never show up but why in God's name can't they at least give me a chance to show up?

Obviously, I'm a tad peeved. But also highly curious as to what justifies not honoring holds requested by rescues. Would shelters really rather see a baby guinea pig get eaten by a snake or sent to a crappy home than cared for by loving fosters and eventually a forever home? Or do they do it just to piss us off? Come on, I want an answer.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:49 pm

If they know you and you're dependable about picking them up when you say you will then they just don't care, especially if you're coming the same day. There is no excuse.

I was thinking about the same issue today when I went into the "pet supply". The owner breeds pigs and only sells a couple in the store even though no other animals are sold. I gave her the care pamhlet and talked about what I knew...two were in a small aquarium, crap in the food, etc etc. The info went in the trash. She didn't care. Same mentality in my opinion. They either don't, or don't want, to get it.

When I went to get Kringle from the shelter, a rescue had already picked him up and they wouldn't even give me her phone number. ARRRRRRRGHHH.....communication is a fine art!

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:56 pm

I guess somehow I have become confused about the function of shelters. They really are public facilities, designed to keep animals off the streets, not to facilitate better treatment of animals. Wishful thinking, I guess, that they would act in the best interest of the guinea pigs.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:09 pm

I think it's sad that you make generalisations based on your experience. There are surely bad shelters, but I know of a few bad rescuers, as well.

Some shelters are better than others. Some are even great. I agree that the bad ones need to be "fixed" as it is the animals who pay the price, but I think you are being unfair to the members of this board who also work in shelters and who do a fantastic job.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:15 pm

She's frustrated at the ones who AREN'T doing a good job....it's pretty straight forward.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:16 pm

Hey, Pissy Holly, I don't think I was talking to you.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:27 pm

E, I realize GL is your "real big deal" and you feel some sense of control on here for whatever reason but I don't think Nicole or anyone else gives a shit who you were talking to. It is a public forum.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:34 pm

Ohhhhhh, I'm scared, now.

Really, you should go for a jog.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:37 pm

jog? nahhhh.... I would have alot more fun using your picture as a dartboard.

agatha

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:14 pm

retract those claws, girls!

i'm sorry that your local shelter sucks, charybdis. are there people that work at the shelter that you do feel a connection with, that can help you to ease the tension somehow? i would also suggest that you find out which shelter workers have been pulling this shit on you, and ask them point blank why they are doing what they are doing, and what their issue with rescues is, exactly. you can ask it in a nice, nonthreatening way, so that you can get a real answer from them. couch the conversation with the tenet "we all want what's best for the animals..." and see where it leads you. good luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:20 pm

It would be useful to know if there are written "procedures". I think some shelters have a board that set up guidelines. Might help to know what they are.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:21 pm

Agatha, the woman who supposedly put the hold on for me, the same one who sold the pig for snake food (lying to me that she didn't know anything about it and then slipping up) is the same woman to whom I hand over a big bag of carrot tops and a garbage bag full of timothy for the rabbits every week. Let's just say, If I were E, I would call her a "two-faced, lying bitch."

Let me make it clearer that my problem is with shelter workers who do not honor holds requested by rescues.

I have several shelter volunteers on whom I rely for information and a couple of them even foster for me. These people truly care about the guinea pigs and would not have let this happen.

And yes there is a difference between shelters. Let's be even more specific--there's a difference between the city pound (which this place is) and the local humane society or no-kill shelter.

Also, to the members of the board who do work at shelters, I don't hear any of them speaking up in support. In fact, one of them (I won't name names...do your research) has defended shelters for not honoring a rescue's request for holds.

So if I'm being unfair, where's the protest? Really, I want to hear it.
Last edited by Charybdis on Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.