Mr. Bubbles and Scruffy

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:46 pm

My granddaughter, Ella came to visit (all of the grandkids are here). She's the one who originally had Mr Bubbles. He recognized her right off and was very excited to see her. So excited that he jumped out of his cage when she opened the door to pick him up. Luckily her reflexes are good and she caught him before he hit the floor. That would have been very bad since his cage is on top and 5 feet up. It's been 11 months since we moved away and he still remembers her. Nobody can tell me that guinea pigs are not smart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:28 pm

Wow! So glad she caught him! Very neat he seemed to remember her :-)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:22 pm

That's an impressive memory!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:05 pm

She spent a lot of time with him, even after I took over his care. His cage has been in her room right up until we moved away, so it makes sense that he would remember her even after 10 months.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 pm

Mr Bubbles enjoying some cool evening air and fresh green grass. He's very close to turning 6 years old. Other than the ongoing issue with his eye, he's doing pretty well. He still pops up and hops to the front of the cage to greet me with a guinea pig kiss and his appetite is just as it has always been.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:09 pm

The eye looks pretty good at the moment. Hope it doesn't get any worse!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:20 pm

That's his good eye. The other one has a swollen conjunctiva at the bottom. The swelling goes up and down, depending on how much fluid is being produced. I clean it twice a day and gently massage under the eye to try and get the tear duct to open up. Sometimes there's nothing there to clean and other times it's full. We've tried 3 different antibiotic drops and two different oral antibiotics and none of them have eliminated it altogether. The anti inflammatory drops help with the swelling, but the fluid still backs up into the eye. It doesn't seem to cause him any pain or discomfort and he rather enjoys the carrot treat he gets after I clean it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:17 pm

Sounds like he's pretty perky for a 6-year-old. That's always satisfying.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:43 am

Oh he is. When I put him back in his cage after cleaning his eye, I put him in head first. He spins around and rushes up to the front for his carrot. He grabs it like "yeah you better give me something good after doing that to me". He's definitely got attitude, but he's a love bug too. He's by far the best guinea pig ever.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Mr Bubbles has turned 6 years old now. He seems to be doing well. His eye has mostly cleared up. He's got some slight drainage from his nostril on that same side. Nothing major but we're monitoring him closely for that, arthritis, weight loss (no signs of either yet) and everything else that comes with his age. Thought you would want to know.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:02 pm

Sounds pretty good for a 6 year old. A lot of pigs don't make it that far. To be 6 and healthy is great!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:51 pm

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bubbles! So good to hear his eye is mostly cleared up. I know you both have been battling this for a while.