One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:01 am

Just one word of clarification, Itsazoo. The surgery only corrects your distance vision if you choose to have it done at the same time as cataract surgery, but the procedures are different.

Grannyju1, I would encourage to thoroughly research the Lasik option that corrects vision. I know several people who have had it and been happy. I also know some who have not been pleased. I opted not to have it done when my cataracts were removed. I figured if I'd worn glasses for more than 60 years, I could keep on wearing them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pm

My sister was able to ditch her nearsighted (distance) glasses when she had her cataracts done - no lasik. I think I look better with glasses so I don't know what's going to happen when I need to take care of my cataracts. Maybe I'll just put clear lenses in them & wear them as a fashion statement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:55 pm

I am nearsighted too and greatly value my ability to read a book or see things close by. I am okay with needing glasses to see things further away. As you get old, your ability to focus from near to far becomes impaired and is the reason why older people who never needed glasses before, now need reading glasses.

I am with you, bpatters, in not changing things up.

From what I understand, another solution for older people is to set the focal distance of one eye to see nearby objects and the other eye to see distant objects.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:36 pm

I also don't have a problem with reading up close due to nearsightedness. I have continuous lenses, but I've never been really able to read with them. I lift them up or take them off. I may skip that feature next time around (it's also expensive)

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:38 pm

"From what I understand, another solution for older people is to set the focal distance of one eye to see nearby objects and the other eye to see distant objects."
That's called monovision and not everyone can adapt to it unless they've tried it using contacts before. A better option is mini- monovision (where the difference between the 2 eyes is less than in monovision) and most people do better with that.

If you have been myopic your whole life, one consideration is choosing lenses for seeing near rather than far. When you are used to being able to see clearly near without glasses and only need glasses for distance, it can be traumatic to have that flipped post surgery.

that was one of the things, on a cataract surgery website I consulted before my cataract surgeries last year, that patients regretted most after the fact, often because the surgeon assumed they wanted to see clearly far and never offered them the near option. And when they found they didn't need glasses for distance but did for reading after their surgery, they were quite unhappy.

Results can vary widely for individuals though. Some people I know who chose distance monofocals were able to see far and read without glasses, requiring reading glasses only for small print.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:17 pm

I didn't realize there were so many choices.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 am

That's a lot of options. Back when my mom had surgery several years ago they corrected her far vision. Eventually her eyes changed and she needed a new prescription anyway. But for a while she didn't need glasses when she watched TV or drove.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:02 am

That's only the options for monofocal lenses that I've mentioned. There're also multi focals and tri focals which act more like progressives. Europe and Asia are far more advanced in terms of what's offered and readily available.

I did a ton of research beforehand and it was like learning a new language with all the terminology. Plus talked to family and friends who've had the surgery, their satisfaction with their outcomes, their experience with their particular surgeon. I also found a website which had lots of useful information related to cataract surgeries and that was very helpful as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 am

Bookfan, my glasses are single distance lenses which means I don't have to adjust to bifocals.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:49 am

That's what I'm going to aim for if I need new lenses before I need cataract surgery. Thanks Waddles. I'll need to do some research.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 pm

I wear Multifunction glasses but they're just not doing it for me any more. Will be having cataract surgery next month.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:38 pm

Sadly, I lost my Beautiful Belle last night. Wasn't aware that she was sick, although I knew she had been loosing weight. I broke my right arm back in early Dec. Still only have use of left. FNP, myself, & PT therapist screwed up badly. More on that later. Surgery is scheduled for early April.

Any way, I haven't been able to care for the babies, my husband has been feeding, watering, & changing the fleece now & then. He doesn't like them , but he loves me. Or so he tells them.

Consequently, babies are nearly feral now. They come when called for Vitamin C tabs or when its dinner time, but won't allow any touching. :(

So vet is doing a necropsy. I'll know more after that. It breaks my heart to say "Goodbye" to my precious Beauty. To be honest she & Charli are my favs, but please don't tell the other 2. ;)

Have to quit now, but I promise to return soon. I really miss you folks.