mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 am

Hi, GrannyJu1!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:52 am

Hi Everyone!!

I'm sorry for my long absence. For being such a lousy year, this one has seen my computer slow down to a slug's (here in WA they call them banana slugs because they are so big) pace. However, we and the cavies (and cats) are alive and as healthy as you can expect.

Except the baby cavy, whom I finally decided to name Charli. Maybe I should have left it at Baby. Not a good name, but I just could not decide on anything else. Anyway, I'm pretty sure she has mites, probably since before I brought her home. The "V"on her back is constant but strangely enough, Dusty's and Belle's seem to come and go. I'll have husband pick up some ivermectin. I have some Miconosol Lotion, but I can't remember what it was for. Probably for this, but oh well. And yes, I will be treating all 3 of them.

My computer isn't the only thing that's slowed down. My eyes are so bad I have to use 2 fingers to type. I really need cataract surgery. Long story.

I'm going to close now, but I do hope you all stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas Hopefully 2021 will be a happier year.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:01 am

So glad you are all are well! Been thinking of you. Hoping you fix the mite problem. I too need cataract surgery but I am not in any hurry. Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and a safe 2021. Hugs to one and all in WA!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:03 am

I saw you logged in! Always wonderful to hear from you!!

It has indeed been a lousy year, for so many reasons. I hope you can get cataract surgery. Vision is a blessing.

I know all about those banana slugs. Have a brother in Washington state and visited years ago (we did some hiking and I heard all about them - unsure if I saw one in the flesh).

The Miconazole would have been for a fungal infection, I expect. Hope you can clear up the mites quickly. I have an outbreak of Northern Fowl mites with my chickens, right now, and since they bite me too, are very hard to ignore. I am treating them with ivermectin.

Take care of yourself!!! And wishing you a wonderful 2021!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:34 am

Good to see you!

Get that cataract surgery done as a Christmas present! It makes all the difference in the world to your life.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Good to see you!! I think I just read somewhere that ivermectin might help treat covid??? It's in the experimental stage so I don't want to see any of you rubbing ivermectin behind your ears!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Mites. Yuck! I only had one guinea pig with them, also from before I adopted him and seeing how itchy they make their victims, I wouldn't wish them on anyone. It was pure torture for him. Ivermectin cleared them right up. I'm glad you are doing well. My mother had cataract surgery and she's very happy with it. Being able to see properly is a quality of life issue and you should correct it as soon as you can. Good luck to you and your herd and Merry Christmas!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:07 am

Good to hear from you GrannyJu1! I hope you get the mites taken care of so you can all relax and enjoy the holidays. And cataract surgery is pretty routine these days, so hopefully you can get that done. Several people I know have had it and are so happy they have good clear vision again. If you wear glasses for distance, you probably won't need them since the surgery corrects your vision at the same time.

Take care of yourself and your little ones and have a happy holiday season!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:01 am

Just one word of clarification, Itsazoo. The surgery only corrects your distance vision if you choose to have it done at the same time as cataract surgery, but the procedures are different.

Grannyju1, I would encourage to thoroughly research the Lasik option that corrects vision. I know several people who have had it and been happy. I also know some who have not been pleased. I opted not to have it done when my cataracts were removed. I figured if I'd worn glasses for more than 60 years, I could keep on wearing them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pm

My sister was able to ditch her nearsighted (distance) glasses when she had her cataracts done - no lasik. I think I look better with glasses so I don't know what's going to happen when I need to take care of my cataracts. Maybe I'll just put clear lenses in them & wear them as a fashion statement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:55 pm

I am nearsighted too and greatly value my ability to read a book or see things close by. I am okay with needing glasses to see things further away. As you get old, your ability to focus from near to far becomes impaired and is the reason why older people who never needed glasses before, now need reading glasses.

I am with you, bpatters, in not changing things up.

From what I understand, another solution for older people is to set the focal distance of one eye to see nearby objects and the other eye to see distant objects.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:36 pm

I also don't have a problem with reading up close due to nearsightedness. I have continuous lenses, but I've never been really able to read with them. I lift them up or take them off. I may skip that feature next time around (it's also expensive)