Pigjes' Pigs Piggadice part Pee ... oops, Three!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Our pets can be infinitely amusing. One of the reasons we love them so!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:50 am

Binky is such a lovebug! Ever since I treated his ear infection, he greets me by laying his paw gently on my nose and smile, when I grab him. He also indicates if he wants to snuggle on my shoulder for a bit when he gets medicated, by peddling his legs a few times, stop, and look very eager at me with a smile. He's on arthritis meds now for several months and doing great. I still add the daily curcumin/glucosamine/collagen/vitamin C after his daily meds, and he's able to scoot around like any normal healthy pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:25 am

What a special guy he is! I bet you love him to pieces! (American expression of great love!)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 am

Binky is quite some pig!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:41 am

Thanks both!

Binky sure knows how to melt my heart. At lap time, I gave him a piece of green corn leaf, cut from the field behind us. He chomps a minute, stops, hops up to my neck, kisses it with vigor, then goes back to eat! Never had a pig pause eating to come and kiss me before, hahahah!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:00 pm

As I suspected, it was confirmed that Binky has Cushing's. We noticed a fast progressing change for a few weeks, it started with an abscess. We observed him the past 2 weeks carefully, as this was a difficult diagnosis and he was very happy still. But all signs were there and obvious: increased appetite, yet weight loss, round belly, obvious hair loss in patches without skin issues, increased drinking, thin skin, some depigmentation of skin, bad wound healing, thin looking legs, another tiny abscess appearing on his back. The hair loss had been going on for a few years now, it started on his belly. Last month, I noticed he had hair loss on his legs and it started me thinking. Now, his hair on his butt is really thin and patchy too.

The vet looked into it, there are no meds available in Belgium. There is only a dog version, and it is not to be crushed, broken, or divided, as it's registered as "very dangerous" and can only be handled at pharmacists with an enclosed suction vent. So, there is no way to get a dosage for him. Luckily, The Netherlands sells a homeopathic supplement, which is supposedly successful. We ordered that, it should be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The vet's intern had to chuckle, as he said she never saw a piggie before who listened to a caretaker and did as asked, totally impressed by how well he seemed to understand me, him kissed me for comforting him during exams, him being so well behaved and utterly adorable, heheheh. I told her he is really something special in comparison to other pigs we had indeed.

I told the vet that as long as Binky is happy, we will try and help him as best as we can. He is still very cheerful, so we are not giving up!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Dear Binky. Totally adorable.

I am sad to hear it looks like he has Cushings. I wish a treatment was available that could help. I am sure you will thoroughly research this condition and do the best you can for him.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:31 pm

Sending you and Binky our best wishes for a speedy recovery! I can't think of anyone better than you to care for him and his condition.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:33 am

I hope you can get a Binky on the mend. He’s a sweetheart.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:29 am

Thanks everyone! His Chinese herbs should arrive today, they are a day late. They are called Cush-Shin.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Keep us posted. Binky's got a special place in my heart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:58 pm

Mine too!

I actually think he has a special place in all our hearts.

A most remarkable (and well-loved) guinea pig!