Miss Piggi - The Rescue Guinea

guineamom18

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 pm

My name is Natalya, I’m told I am named after a Romanov Princess. My new family calls me Miss Piggi, for short. I’m 2 or 3 years old, but I don’t remember for sure. I’m all white, but not Albanese. I mean albino, not albino. This is my rescue story, I would like to share with you as I heal and grow in my new home.

Guinea Mom and Pig Dad found me on craigslist. My foster rescued me when I was abandoned at a Petsmart. She knew I needed help and made sure I got to this safe new home. They love me very much here. They are being kind and patient during my rehabilitation, but I don’t trust them yet.

I’m terrified of everything. Soft and loud noises, movement of any kind, and most of all hands!! My previous people were children and were not well suited for my care. I’m glad there are no children here.

I learned quickly that being still drew less attention to me. And being quiet was essential. I have not said a word to Guinea Mom since I got here and I know it makes her sad, but I’m not ready. She understands though, she speaks quietly to me or clicks at me, but not too much. Of course, she is just babbling because she doesn’t speak guinea pig.

I did learn to cope with pets, but only if I can’t see you and I can pretend you are not touching me. My new people are very calm and they are giving me space, as much space as possible. They believe with time I will be a confident, happy piggy.

My favorite thing about my new home is my stick tunnel. I was really upset when they cleaned my cage, but this is much better now! It has two open ends so I can get in and out as fast as I need to. I used to have a pigloo, but I know they could still see me! And if a hand came in... oh no!! Wait, no, I’m safe and hidden in my tunnel.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:41 am

You will grow to enjoy your people. Are you all alone? Do they know that having a same sex companion is a good idea?
www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

guineamom18

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Lynx! Miss Piggi here! My people have been talking a lot about a piggy pal. Guinea Mom thinks it would help my recovery and build my confidence, maybe even encourage me to talk. She was told I am too territorial to have a buddy, but thinks that’s probably not true. They are looking to adopt a friend for me, but Alaska is a big place with few cavies.

You would not believe what Guinea Mom and Pig Dad did yesterday. It was an eventful day for me. I’m cozy in my tunnel now and wanted to share.

My foster told Guinea Mom not to give me too much hay, because that’s all I want to eat. My bad. It’s delicious! Guinea Mom knew better though so this morning she loaded me up with enough hay to feed a piggy army, I even have some to sit on!

She also put these weird round things in my food dish with my pellets. She said they were carrots, but I was suspicious. Oh. My. Goodness. They are great! I snuck one at a time back to my tunnel to munch on in secret, I hope there are more to come.

I barely leave my tunnel. I’m still afraid of everything, so unless I think Guinea Mom is asleep or can’t see me, I won’t move. She waits it out though. She will be still and quiet for hours, she wants to make sure I eat but that I’m building confidence every day too.

She has a theory that if nothing happens to me every time I come out, I will figure out she doesn’t want to eat me. I think it’s a setup. But I do enjoy that I can move around without being rushed, touched, or shouted at.

Everything was fine, until Pig Dad got home. I could tell they were up to something. They threw away my home! Guinea Mom carefully pulled it over to one corner of the room, took the metal cage part off, scooted me (after much panicking) out of it with my stick tunnel, and took it away!

I didn’t know what to do, so I hid in my tunnel. Then I smelled something. Oh hay! I looked around and I didn’t even know what to think. The floor was soft. There was another stick tunnel, a box full of hay with my water above it and my bowl in it, a ramp covered in something soft… and my food bowl was full of some green and yellow stuff.

This home is three times the size of my old cage!! And it doesn’t have bars above me! Pig Dad said I should try the lettuce and squash. If this is anything like carrots… oh! These people are my new favorite people. Maybe they won’t eat me after all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:51 pm

LOL! I love you, little Miss Piggi! Keep talking, baby girl! You'll get used to all of us.

guineamom18

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 am

Hi GrannyJu1, Miss Piggi checking in! I’m quite happy talking here, although I’m not vocal at home yet. I can’t decide if I trust Pig Dad or Guinea Mom. He talks pretty loud and doesn’t know how to move slowly. And he keeps talking about spoiling me. She feeds me and brings me hay, but she steals my poos.

This morning was so good though! Guinea Mom gave me carrots, two different kinds of lettuce, and something called zucchini. Which I refused to try because it smells funny. She put some with my pellets and then mischievously scattered the rest around my home.

She thinks she is sneaky, but I know what she is doing. They smelled so good though, I came out of my comfort zone a little bit, while they were out of the room. It made Guinea Mom laugh and she took the nasty zucchini away, promising not to make me try them again.

She was out of the room for a long while today. When she came back she brought more lettuce!! Annndd she spread it around my home again. That’s ok. I’m pretty sure Guinea Mom isn’t going to eat me, but I’m still concerned about Pig Dad and whatever spoiling is.

I rewarded her for bringing me more delicious noms. I let her sit very still and very quietly in the room while I ate the lettuce around my pen. And then I nestled myself into the hay box for half an hour. I didn’t even run to my tunnel when she moved or whispered to me.

Guinea Mom is happy and quietly excited about my progress and confidence. Maybe she is right, maybe I can be a happy piggy, but she says Pig Dad will be home tomorrow. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 am

Absolutely! More people to love you rocks!

guineamom18

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:13 am

It’s Miss Piggi again, writing from my cozy, stick tunnel. Today was different, Lynx, you were absolutely right! More people, more love for me. I’m starting to trust these people and I think I have some kind of power here I’ve never had before.

The morning started off great! Pig Dad was home and he gave me watercress with my squash and lettuce this morning, because I’m “spoiled”. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but after trying it, I abandoned the squash entirely. If it means delicious treats, then I love being spoiled!

He is very loud though. Even his quiet voice is loud. Guinea Mom is trying to teach him to click at me, but he makes more kinds of noises than she does. He speaks a bunch of gibberish, but he is funny. I’m starting to like Pig Dad.

Things got very interesting today when I started hearing a squeaky sound in the house. Guinea Mom came to my room really fast. She asked ‘Is that you? Are you hurt? Are you ok?’ Haha, it was not me, but now I see how to get her attention. I will try this method soon. Apparently it was a roommate, but I don’t really know, I was too busy plotting my next command.

I spent the rest of the day in my tunnel. Guinea Mom is much louder when Pig Dad is home and I wasn’t sure if it was safe today. I eventually ventured out and lounged in my hay box for awhile. They think I can’t see them trying to watch me out of the corner of their eyes, but I’m not as bothered now.

I’m even starting to chatter at them a little bit. I’m testing their reaction. Either they can’t hear me, they don’t know what it means, or they are pretending not to hear me so I will yell at them. We are at a stale mate. I’m not sure if I want to talk to them that much yet, but I am getting comfortable here. Is this what happy feels like?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am

Is it sounds happy, contented and bliss. One of our piggies now an angel Jessie use to love laying on my lap on a soft pillow. I would watch TV and softly stroke her. She loved it!

I am like Piggy Dad I speak loudly and move fast(I mean no harm) and my husband is like your Guinea Mum, talks soft, moves slowly. If you get a friend, anything that goes wrong you could blame them. On the bad side you would have to share your food.

Ask you piggy slaves to get a plastic bag and rustle it together. You watch what happens then. Love your story, come back soon! In Alaska is it warm enough? We and the J Tribe ladies live in Australia where it is normally hot. Come back soon!

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm

It sounds like you are making great progress! My name is Poppins and I used to be shy just like you! It took me a few months to warm up to my mom, but I bonded with dad right away. You are right about being spoiled, it is the best! I bet you'll be confident in no time!

As far as roommates go, I wasn't so sure myself at first either. Another piggy, a stranger, coming into my safe home and eating my veggies and hay? But then one day a couple months ago my mom brought home a pig named Caleb. He's the same age as me (3) but I'm bigger. We were both excited to have someone else in the house who speaks Guinea pig (I know mom tries, but she's not really fluent). When we first met I showed Caleb I want to be the dominant one and he was fine with that. We've been living together ever since. Once you get over having to share food, you realize its nice to have a roommate. You can explore together and play tag and its easier to be confident when you know someone's got your back!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 am

You should ask your humans to get you some fresh grass. It's probably far too cold outside for wild grass to grow and probably too snowy too, but they might be able to find some wheat grass from the store. If you think hay is good, wait until you try fresh grass! Don't eat too much of it at first. Start out slow and work your way up. It's not only tasty, it's very good for you too. Once you get used to it, you can eat your fill.

My 3 rescue piggies were scared like you when they first came to my house to live. A lot of time and TLC and they have come out of their shell. Poor Barry Jenkins though. Just as he was getting to where he likes me and trusts me, we found out that he has health issues and the vet is making me do things neither of us like to try and make him better. I just hope he knows that I love him and I'm doing it for his own good. I wish his 3 fellow guinea pigs would explain it to him for me.

Just know that your humans love you and everything they do for you is to help you live a long and happy life; even if it is unpleasant.