Mr. Bubbles and Scruffy

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:02 am

Happy Birthday Mr. Bubbles! I hope it's a great day for you!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:00 am

He got some parsley for his birthday. I don't give him that very often but he really enjoys it when he gets it. I didn't get to take him outside today, but I'm going to make sure he gets some grass tomorrow. He'd probably rather have that anyway.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:34 am

Happy Birthday Mr. Bubbles!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:26 am

Happy Estimated Birthday!

He might have a blocked tear duct which would account for the normal eye fluid leaking down instead of circulating back to continue cleaning the eye. With little guinea pigs, sometimes a warm wet compress can help to open the duct. However, if this has been going on for a while, something so simple may not help.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:35 am

It comes and goes and it didn't cause him any discomfort. He gets irritated when I mess with it too much, so as long as things stay the way they are, I limit what I do with it to keeping it as clean as I can. He does wipe it out with his front paw, but he just gets it out of his eye. I have to clean it off of his cheek.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:46 am

Mr Bubbles got his first nail trim from his new vet today. It didn't go as smoothly as I expected but it wasn't terrible either. He fought really hard to keep us from holding on to his feet long enough to clip the nails. He tried biting so they had to put a specially designed hood on him. He really hated that but once I got him settled down, it did its job and kept him from biting.

He did his usual pouting session, but he got over it. The good news is that they didn't quick him. He's good for a couple of months now. Buttercup got done today as well. She did get quicked but didn't get too upset. She did very well. Sammy and Dean get their turn on Tuesday. Gilligan and Skipper after that. The babies don't need it yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:10 am

Glad you found a good local vet! Nice to have them introduced to the vet for a non-medical issue. The hood theory, some people translate into covering the eyes with one hand when hand feeding a squirmy guinea pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 pm

The hood covered his whole head with a hole for his nose.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:48 am

Mr Bubbles is doing well. He's slowed down on his eating. Not in how much he eats, but in how fast. He used to devour his lettuce in just over a minute and then go after his bell pepper or whatever side veggie I feed him. Now he eats the side veggie first and then finishes his lettuce over the next half hour or so. He still eats his hay the same. I see him foraging it up off and on between his naps and visits with his neighbors Gilligan and Skipper. Pellets are given a small handful every other day.

I tried him on zucchini for the first time yesterday and he enjoyed that. I might give it to him more often. I don't know the nutritional value or if it has anything that would put his health at risk. I peeled it too. What do you guys know about it? How many times a week is it safe to give him? He's in his golden years and is enjoying himself. I don't want to do anything to derail him.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 am

Glad to hear he's still doing well. I haven't tried zucchini with Gidget yet. Lacey never liked it - she looked at me like I was trying to pull something over on her. Maybe she thought it was a cucumber at first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Guessing that in moderation it is fine. I have never thought it was particularly loaded with nutrients though.

It is likely the listing on this page for baby zucchini includes the skin. The USDA website might have more info on regular zucchini with and without skin.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:07 pm

It is. There is other literature around which says it has a notable amount of vitamin C and other nutrients that guinea pigs need, while being relatively low in sugar. I think I can safely put it into the rotation. That would mean he gets an ounce or two of it 3-4 times a week. That should be fine.