Mr. Bubbles and Scruffy

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 am

Wow! Look at Scruffy's wildflowers! I almost lost them during the cold snap last week, but I was able to get them inside where it was warm. I put them in the window so they could get the warmth and light from the sun. It's nice out again, so they're back outside and doing well. I'm glad I planted them in those pots instead of the ground.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Looks like alyssom. Mr. Bubbles is adorable and a good teacher too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Last evening my daughter put nasturtium flowers in the salad. They were very tasty!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 am

I love nasturtium flowers in salad - they're so pretty and add a little peppery taste. Mine are coming up, but the chippies dig them up every once in a while so they can bury seeds.

Scruffy is lucky to have all those wildflowers. I planted leaf lettuce but it's taking its time getting large enough to harvest.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:43 am

Got the first bit of radish and beet greens for the garden. The wife got the radishes and beets and the piggies got the greens. Didn't think Mr Bubbles would eat them but he did. Funny how he won't eat the store bought ones but he will eat the home grown ones. I tried twice to plant lettuce and it sprouted and died right after. Guess home grown lettuce isn't it the cards. I am planting a second round of radishes and the carrots are doing well.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am

Our first pig would only eat home grown tomatoes. And I don't mean what the grocery stores call home grown, I mean the ones grown in someone's back yard. Picky, picky.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:16 am

Funny how they have preferences. Mine likes regular carrots but not a fan of the baby cut variety. And only wants green peppers, no other colors and none of the small sweet peppers either.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Mr Bubbles will eat just about anything. So will Sammy and Dean. The mustard greens and store bought radish and beet greens are just about the only things they don't like. They'll only pick at the kale and chard. I stay away from the gassy stuff like broccoli. Other than that the sky's the limit with them. All 3 of them get bell pepper at every feeding and eat it all.

BJ is another story entirely. He'll eat carrots, but it takes him all day to nibble down 2 small baby carrots. Same with a quarter celery stick and a chunk of cucumber. He will not eat the middle part where the seeds are, so I cut that part out. He'll also nibble on green leaf lettuce, but no other variety. His main source of food is hay and pellets. He's maintaining his 3.4 lbs of body weight on that. He'd eat a whole cup of pellets if I let him, but I only give him an eighth of a cup per day. There's always hay for him to munch; as much as he wants. Won't even sniff at bell peppers of any color.

The newbies are not picky at all other than Oreo and cucumber. He won't eat that, or bell peppers. The girls don't like bell pepper either. I try to get all of them outside at least twice a week to eat their fill of grass. Oreo, Ginger and MaryAnn don't eat much. That's only because they are still not quite accustomed to being out there. They'll eat as much as I give them if I pick it and bring it to them in their cages. The 4 boys have no problem eating outside until they get their fill.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:45 am

One of our vets said once that all a pig really needs is hay, water and vitamin C. So BJ seems to be doing well on just that. 'Course for most pigs veggies are a big treat.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:11 pm

My vet said pretty much the same thing. BJ gets unlimited hay, the pellets and vitamin c drops in his water. I don't particularly like putting those drops in his water, but he drinks all of it every day. As long as he keeps that up, I'll continue doing it that way.

None of the other guys will drink their water with the drops in them, but they all get plenty of vitamin c from their bell pepper. Between Mr Bubbles, Sammy and Dean they get a whole one every day. That's in addition to the unlimited hay and eighth cup of pellets. The 4 of them go through an entire full sized bale of hay every couple of months or so. With the addition of the 3 rescue piggies, who all eat lots of it, I expect to go through a bale per month.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Mr Bubbles had a nail trim today. Came out fine. He even bathed himself in his carrier on the way home. He didn't even take a nap after. Just had his hay and drank some water. I picked some fresh grass for him and all of the pigs who had nail trims. He's clearly gotten used to having his nails done.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm

A lot of nail trims yesterday!