Sam and Dean

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm

I have triangle shaped bowls that can be secured in the corner but I quit using them when Sammy climbed up on the bowl and chewed through the part where it attaches. He just doesn't like to eat pellets out of a bowl. I'm confused as to why because he has no problem with eating his veggies out of the flat pan I use. The solution is to put half in the bowl for Dean and the other half on the fleece for Sammy. It doesn't completely stop their argument, but it cut it down considerably.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 am

Funny little critters, aren't they.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 am

Yes. They like to have things their own way. It's one of the things I love about them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Sammy and Dean had their nails trimmed today. Breezed right through like champs. It was exceptionally hot out today. Even though I let the car AC run for about 20 minutes before putting them in to drive them to the vet, it still felt warm. I was stressing about the heat, but they didn't seem to be affected by it. Some hay and a nice cool drink of water and they took their naps.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Well done, Sammy & Dean.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 am

The guys got their graze on this evening. This is the one thing they love the most. Still can't figure out why they get along perfectly fine everywhere but outside in the grass. It's like they have the personality of Sam and Dean Winchester on Supernatural LOL.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am

I bet they are all happy to have some outside time! You take such good care of your guinea pigs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm

I spoil them. I doubt there are any guinea pigs more spoiled than mine. Nobody else in the family can prepare their veggies because of how I do it. I trim the ends off of their lettuce leaves and the two bonded pairs get theirs cut into strips so they all get an equal share. Their cucumber is peeled and chopped into spears or slices. The bell pepper is also carefully trimmed and cleaned.

Getting their veggies is not a quick affair. It drives my wife crazy sometimes. I go over each item carefully to make sure it's cleaned and any wilted or otherwise bad parts are trimmed off. When I have to travel and leave them in the care of family, I make up all of the vegetables they'll need while I'm gone and put them into Ziploc bags with names and dates for each piggie. I'm almost obsessive about their food. I think it comes from losing Scruffy to digestive system issues.

Whatever the reason, these little guys enjoy their food and I enjoy providing the best for them. That's why I put in the time and why I decided to try and grow fresh things for them to eat.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 am

Sam and Dean are getting along famously these days. They've matured past the hormonal stage for sure. Of course they play together but there hasn't been much in the way of disagreements other than the occasional scolding from Dean when Sammy gets too close to his face. Sammy has discovered that he can jump out of his cage without getting hurt if I don't get his food in there quick enough. Since it's only about a foot or so off the floor, he didn't get hurt or scared the first time he did it, so he tries it every time the door opens. Don't worry though. I'm faster than he is.

It's been smoky from the California wildfires so I haven't been able to get him or any of the boys outside much. I've been trying to compensate by picking and bringing them all fresh grass but that's not the same as getting them out there to run and graze. There's only about a month or so left until the lawn goes completely dormant, so I'm hoping things improve soon and they don't miss out on the rest of grazing season. We have a dog again, so floor time has become more of a challenge. My dog is very sweet and doesn't mess with the piggies, but I'm not taking any chances that she mistakes one of them for a play toy. I'd never forgive myself if I let any of the piggies get hurt.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Update on the Winchester piggies. Doing well and getting along famously. They were the beneficiary of extra outside grazing time up until the weather turned. I tried removing the divider between them and they were fine. No issues with grazing together. Must have been an adolescent thing. Sammy gets scolded by Dean now and then but it's never anything more than a warning nip which Sammy always heeds. They both like to interact with their neighbor, BJ. They squeak, nibble on the side of the cage where he is and purr at him. BJ doesn't mind giving them some of his time. It's really very cute.

Nail trims are next week. I'll try and get some pictures up.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:51 pm

We always love pictures!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 am

https://i.imgur.com/mdmLV3W.gifv

Dean getting his grass.