The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Adopted Barry Jenkins today. He's a sweet boy. Took to us immediately. His previous owner obviously handled him a lot because he doesn't mind being picked up at all. Doesn't run from us either. No biting or struggling when I hold him. He had been there so long that the staff at the humane society cheered for him when I left with him. They estimate his age at 3-4 years old. He looks very healthy and cared for. Looks like they kept up with trimming his nails too. He's noticeably larger than any of the other boys. Let the legend of Barry Jenkins begin!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Poor Barry. Went to get the large cage out of storage and I didn't have the key. He'll be in the floor pen for the night. He'll also be on paper bedding in the cage until I get the bumpers that hold the fleece bedding in place cut and covered. I obviously wasn't planning on adopting him today, but the inconveniences are minor and he's much happier with me than he was in guinea pig jail.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:43 pm

What a handsome guy! Sounds like he will fit into the household well! (and spend a lot of time getting held ;-).

I trust he will forgive you for being in a temporary cage.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm sure all it will take is a treat and some quality floor time!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:14 pm

So I was able to get the storage key and the cage for Barry Jenkins. I got him all set up and in his new home. I can tell he has some getting used to things to go through. He sniffed around it once and went into his house to lay. He's not sick or lethargic or anything bad like that. I just thought he'd be a bit more excited and curious about it. I gave him a piece of carrot, some hay and water. He ate the carrot, but wasn't interested in the hay or water.

I wonder if he can sense Scruffy or smell his scent in that cage. I scrubbed it with bleach water and rinsed it thoroughly after Scruffy passed away, plus it's been wrapped in plastic sheeting in the storage shed since that day. His bowl and water bottle are both brand new so I know it's not that. I'm going to give him a few hours to get acclimated and then I'll spend some time holding him and letting him run around some.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:54 am

He is quite handsome and a very fortunate guy! I'm sure he had a busy day and just wants a safe place to sleep until he can figure out what's going on. New smells, new sounds, different food, and new people looking in on him.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 am

He's going to be ok. He loves to snuggle! I couldn't be happier.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:30 am

He's going to be ok. He loves to snuggle! I couldn't be happier.

You couldn't be happier? Barry looks like he has died and gone to heaven! Living in the lap of luxury! Soft beds, good food, warm bodies to nestled against. What more could a piggy want? He's even smiling! I want to tickle that foot! Gorgeous boy!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:44 pm

BJ is a little more active today in his cage and on my lap. He actually climbed around on me and the recliner. He did a bit of that contentment squeaking and he even purred. We're going to get along great together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm

That is great! He sounds like a special guy. You seem to have several wonderful guinea pigs!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Does he have pink eyes? It's hard to tell from the photos. I know pink-eyed guinea pigs can be hard to place. Regardless, he is very cute and very lucky.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm

PEW! I have a huge soft spot for PEWS. :) He is adorable.