The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:16 pm

Maybe a little bit of both. It's weird because he'll nibble on the carrots and pellets, which are the hardest things he gets. He's going to the vet as a walk in tomorrow since they don't have any appointments available for at least a week. I hate having to go that route because it could take all day to get seen and they tack on an additional charge of $75.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 am

I wouldn't like that either, but I think a week is too long to wait.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:08 pm

Got BJ to the vet this morning. They did an examination, including an x-ray and found little or no gut motility, some gas and a small amount of sludge in the lower end of his digestive tract, but no blockage. He's not in a lot of pain but he is experiencing some moderate discomfort. He's getting a motility medication and some pain med. I'll have to keep feeding him critical care until he starts eating on his own.

This is close to the same thing that happened to Mr Bubbles a few months ago. It came on a little more gradually for him than it did for BJ. He's recovering from sedation from the x-ray, so I'll be picking him up in about an hour. I'll have an exact list of meds and a more clear explanation of what they found. I'll post an update later, but it looks like an easy treatment and hopefully a fairly quick recovery.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 pm

So they prescribed 5mg metoclopramide tablets for BJ. He gets a quarter of a tablet twice a day for gut motility and meloxidyl 1.5 mg/ml as needed for pain. They preloaded his dose into syringes for me. He just got his first dose of metoclopramide with his critical care. I'm not seeing any indication that he's in any pain. I'm watching him carefully and if he shows any signs of pain, I'll give him his meloxidyl.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 pm

It sounds like they did a thorough exam. Nice that they got the syringes ready for you. I hope this gets his digestion going.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:19 pm

I hope so too! So glad he has you to look out for him.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:17 am

Hoping he feels better soon! Jill has little gut movement and gas and mushy poops. She is also on Metoclopramide tablets. But 10mg and only a tenth of a tablet. Hope you see improvement soon. Maybe a Probiotic will help too? Jill is on Pro8nature used to be Protexin. Good luck!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:42 am

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely using the knowledge and experience I gained from Scruffy and what we went through together. Because of him, I know to keep plenty of critical care around and keep track of the expiration dates. I also keep probiotic powder and 1ml syringes on hand as well. It's like second nature when it comes to hand feeding guinea pigs. I know how to recognize when there's a potential problem and I know to start hand feeding critical care if they stop eating. I even read back through what I was posting during the ordeal from time to time to keep the information fresh.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:16 am

What kind of probiotic powder are you giving? Does it have an expiration date?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:56 pm

He's in good hands. Doesn't critical care have some probiotic in it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Ah, yes, I think you are right.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:24 pm

I have the benebac powder. It does have a "best by" date. It's good until March of this year. I haven't been giving BJ extra probiotic yet because his droppings are pretty normal and they're consistent with his food intake. Since most of his intake is critical care via hand feeding, I didn't see the need at this time. I'm feeding him enough, apparently because he hasn't dropped any weight and he's passing a good amount of droppings. He's not drinking water on his own but he's getting plenty by hand. We're going to keep pressing on with the treatment plan.