The Legend of Barry Jenkins

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:08 am

My heart really goes out to you. I can feel your pain in every word you type. As I have said look into his eyes, give him a manly cuddle, talk to him as long as it takes.

How far are you from the vet? Maybe they could come to you to send BJ over the bridge? Not sure on covid rules in USA. Here vets do house calls as long as masks and gloves are worn. If they won't come to you maybe they would let you be there when he drifts off whether that be inside or outside the vet clinic.

Maybe they have a out door garden where it could happen? Talk to your vet, explain you wish to be with BJ, to hold and talk to him as he drifts to the clouds. I mean they love animals as why become vets? I have tears rolling down my face again. Take care of yourself. Give BJ a kiss and hug from us in Australia. Thinking of you both and my heart feels for what you are going through!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:05 am

They have a holistic center where they perform the procedure and do visits that require in person interaction like when we had to learn how to give our diabetic cat his insulin shots and test his blood sugar. My state, Nevada is a little less strict than others. They don't let the pet parents into the treatment clinic where they do routine visits. You have to text them that you're there and they come out and get your pet, but they do have entry protocols for the holistic center. They take your temperature and do a questionnaire and you are required to wear a mask. The environment they provide is very calm and soothing. There is nice pet themed artwork on the walls and lots of really healthy plants. They are very kind and gentle and they perform the procedure with dignity and grace.

It doesn't make things easier or make me feel better about having to make this decision but it doesn't make it worse either, so there is that. I just need to concentrate on the great times we had together. I have lots of pictures of BJ doing the things he loves. Grazing outside and socializing with his 6 brothers while doing so, snuggling under the holding blanket on my lap, enjoying his floor time and hand fed treats. He spent the last year a very loved and happy guinea pig. I need to focus on that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 am

This is the hardest part of being a pet caretaker. I know you are trying to do the best you can for you both. He is lucky to be in your care.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Our vet pointed out to me once that pigs live in the moment - no before, no after. The whole last 1+ year has been piggy paradise for him and has erased (mentally) anything bad that came before.

The really hard part is for you. You can make an objective decision about whether it's time or not & whether he'll survive surgery & what his quality of life will be like. And of course you can't know any of that for sure.

In my experience, it's the emotional decision that's so tough. It's very hard to part with one of these sweet animals and it's obvious you really love your pigs. If you decide this is the time, I'm glad there is a place where you can be with him. My daughter had to turn Gracie over to the vet from the car - couldn't come in with her. I'm sure it made things much harder.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:05 pm

Thank you again for the kind words. I can barely get critical care down without some of it dribbling out now. BJ tries to eat but he can't pick anything up to say nothing about chewing it. He's producing small poops, which he also tries to eat. He gets it in his mouth after a few tries but he can't even hold on to it. It's becoming torture for him. The meds are keeping him comfortable from the pain and discomfort standpoint but I don't see how that is going to last until Tuesday. I called the vet and they can't get him in today but they can work him in for tomorrow morning.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 pm

I was hoping when I woke yesterday was all a bad dream. Thinking of you all in this hard time. Times like this I wish I had a magic wand. Sending hugs to you all! :( Grab and make as many new memories and enjoy your time together!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Rest in peace BJ. He passed away peacefully at the vet. I will miss him. There is not, nor will there ever be another Guinea Pig like him. I made sure his last night with us was as comfortable as I could make it. He had a clean blanket and lots of hay to lay in. I have lots of great memories of him and I will continue to keep him in my heart as long as I live. I know he has found Scruffy and they are grazing on the forever green grass together. I will see him again on the other side. I will post pictures and my tribute to him later. I have to process this. I've already removed and sterilized his cage and put it in storage. I also rearranged things to maximize the space for the rest of my boys.

I don't have any plans to get another guinea pig any time soon, but that's not because of losing BJ. It's because our plans for the future are unsure right now. I'm not ruling it out either. If fate, God, or destiny; whatever you refer to it as, brings me a prescious little guinea pig who needs me, I will take them in and give them all the love and care they need. It doesn't matter if it's a baby or a senior or something in between. I'll be there for them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:49 pm

I'm so sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:18 pm

You have our sympathy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 pm

RIP BJ. Run free in paradise. What a comfort to go in your slaves arms when you crossed offer, the last thing was feeling his touch and hearing his voice. Run free in perfect health and popcorn in paradise and each the free green grass. Play with Scruffy till you meet again.

He knows he was loved and he loved you and he will always be with you. Sending big hugs from me and the girls. Be easy on yourself and know BJ is smiling down on you! You gave him the most important gift-LOVE!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:51 pm

My condolences, Renonvsparky, my heart goes out to you. Bookfan is right, guinea pigs and other pets live in the present, they don’t think about the past or wonder about the future. So we’re the ones who suffer most. BJ had a wonderful life with you. He was cuddled and loved, he had outdoor time, he had neighbors to interact with, and he had good nutrition. He didn’t know or think about his age or how much time he had, and he was fortunate to pass peacefully.

You were both so lucky to find each other, that will never change. Take care of yourself.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:55 am

I am so sorry! I know how hard you tried to help BJ! Hugs!