The 3 (new) little piggies

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:26 pm

All 7 of the piggies got their spin on the lawn today. They all enjoyed that. The last couple of days have been windy, chilly and nasty so I've had to pick grass and bring it inside for them. I have to cut the grass this week, so I'm going to try and get them out as much as possible before then. They can still go out after the grass is cut, but there aren't any of the long blades they like to eat for a few days after mowing. I was impressed with Ginger and MaryAnn. I half expected them to cuddle in the corner all scared, but they didn't. It only took about a minute or so until they relaxed and started eating grass.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Those lucky piggies. Isn’t it fun spoiling them?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am

How is it that little Ginger, who is by far the smallest of all my Guinea pigs has the loudest wheek? It's so loud that we can hear it clear across the house! It doesn't take much to get her going either. The TV is always on, so there are noises she hears to get her going. Of course, it takes no time to get the chorus of MaryAnn, Oreo and Sammy to join in, but you can still hear her above the rest. She's the only one who you can see her mouth actually open when she wheeks. What an adorable little clown!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:31 am

How sweet! Good things come in small packages! Our Jill squeaks and gets all the others started. Good on ya Ginger! Train your slaves!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Ginger wants you to hop to it and wait on her! Maybe she was elected spokes-pig for the group.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Maybe she's had professional training and knows how to project her voice, gp style.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 pm

I got Ginger, MaryAnn and Oreo an appointment for nail trim. To avoid the $60 per piggie initial exam, I was able to retrieve their medical records from the humane society. They have Oreo listed as a 3.5 year old. Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't look that old. He's a healthy and happy little guy. There's is no other history on him, so I'm probably only the second owner he's had. They did his nail trim when they took him in, but he's due, so we're getting that done.

Ginger and MaryAnn appear to have been together for their whole lives. They've had two stints at the humane society. Given that they're supposedly both 1 year and 2 months old when I adopted them, they've had a hard time staying in a home. They're both very vocal, so that might have something to do with it. Those days are behind them now since they're both so sweet and I just love their vocals. They were treated for worms in May. Both are healthy now. They're going in for a trim next week too. Ginger has little razors for claws and it's time to fix that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:42 am

I always find when I trim their claws it makes the claws sharper, is this normal? I swear when I do their claws the neighbours must think I am torturing them. Hope all goes well at the vets!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 am

I notice that too, trimming leaves sharp edges. Lacey has a couple nails that have a curve and go kind of sideways so they are harder to trim.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:38 am

Mr Bubbles has the same thing with his front claws. He cannot go more than a couple of months without trimming them or else they'll grow right into the pads of his feet. As far as getting sharper, none of the 4 pigs have that issue. As for the 3 newbies, it appears that is the case. According to their medical records from the humane society, they had nail trims when they were taken in. That was just over 2 weeks before I adopted them. I've had them just about 3 weeks and all 3 of them have claws like razors with Ginger being the worst. We'll see how it goes after their upcoming trim.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am

Ginger and MaryAnn are so lucky to have found a good, permanent home.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 pm

So I took the 3 new little piggies for their nail trim and got a really big surprise. You know how I was worried about the possibility of life threatening pregnancy by adopting the girls? Well turns out that I don't have to worry anymore because Ginger and MaryAnn are both males! The Humane Society missexed them. I felt confident enough in their vet that I didn't check myself. Apparently part of their first visit to the clinic I use is to verify their gender. They squeezed their bellies and out came the winky.

They're still too small to see their testes, which is why I missed it. My other, larger guinea pigs have clearly defined testes which show up when they drag their bottoms to mark territory. It also explains why they try to mount each other more than usual. They must still be establishing their pecking order. I still have to keep the seperation the same, but it's due to possible fighting.

So I have given them new names. Ginger will now be known as Gillian and MaryAnn will be Skipper in the interest of keeping the theme of their names. Other than that little bit of news, their nail trim went well and they're both happy and healthy GUYS lol.

Oreo did very well. He's apparently accustomed to having his nails trimmed. He must have been well cared for by his previous owners. He is happy and healthy too. I half expected them to tell me he's a female, but he's not. 😋 Clearly a male. I can relax a little bit with all of my pigs being boars, but I still have to keep them far apart enough to keep them from fighting or wrecking the two bonded pairs I have.