The 3 (new) little piggies

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun May 24, 2020 10:00 pm

I've been watching the humane society for guinea pigs in need of foster care and noticed they had 3 of them. They've been getting adopted out after a couple of days and that got my wife a little bit worried that perhaps they might be putting them down due to coronavirus and the inability to keep enough staff around to properly care for them; even though they have a no kill policy. The ones they've been getting are all over 3 years old.

Anyways, back to the 3 piggies. I had no plans to adopt anymore right now, as my wife set my limit at 4. As soon as I showed her the pictures of the babies, she told me that we are adopting all 3 of them. I was pleasantly surprised since I'd have every guinea pig in the world if I could. There's two problems. First is the cage and space situation. I only have the two small cages I used to keep Scruffy in a not a lot of room for bigger ones. Easily fixed with a bit of rearranging. The new, bigger cages are on the way.

The second problem and it's a big one. The two that are paired are female. I know what you guys are going to say and I know I said no females while I have males, but we're going to try and manage it. We have the girls completely isolated from the boys on the other side of the room. If things don't work out, my sister has been wanting to raise guinea pigs again since her youngest kid is graduating high school and planning to move out on his own. She is willing to take the girls if it comes to that.

I have pictures of them, but imgur doesn't seem to be working for me. As soon as I can, I'll post pictures of Ginger, Maryanne and Oreo.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Looking forward to pictures when imgur cooperates!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun May 24, 2020 11:27 pm

I put a lot of thought into adopting these little ones and there were more reasons to go ahead with adopting them than not to. The Humane Society has stopped charging for adoption and they aren't even vetting people because of their need to find homes for their animals during the COVID-19 pandemic.

They didn't even ask us about the people and other pets living in our house. When I adopted BJ and Sammy and Dean, I had to list every person and pet living here. My first thought was that they might be destroying the small animals. Then my second thought was that people will evil minds would be inclined to take advantage of this for their sinister purposes.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 am

This is Oreo. They said he's 3 years old but he looks a bit small to be 3. Sammy and Dean were supposedly 9 months old when I got them and they were way bigger than Oreo. No matter; he's a very sweet and loveable little guy. He runs when I first approach him, but he gets over it quickly and comes up to greet me. Picking him up is challenging but I expect that. He squeaks when the others do.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 2:29 am

This is Ginger. No way she's a year old. She has that look like a pup about the same age as Mr Bubbles was when I got him. He was 7 weeks old. I don't think Ginger is that young, but she is very tiny. She and Maryanne both run when I approach them, but she slowly makes her way to the front of the cage once she realizes that it's me and I might have a treat for her. She's a little bit hard to pick up, but if I get her to a corner, I can get her. She's a snuggle bug once I put her to my chest or on my lap.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 2:39 am

This is Maryanne. She had some silly name that I can't spell or pronounce. I changed it to go with Ginger. She's going to take a lot of time and work to tame. She runs into the tunnel and won't come out for me. I can gently nudge her out into a corner and pick her up, but she squeals like she's hurt. I checked her thoroughly to make sure she doesn't have any injuries. Her squealing is just an act. She doesn't sit very still at first and tries to jump down, but settles down enough to pet her after a minute or two.

The picture doesn't show it but she has long hair like a Peruvian on her hind end, while the rest of her is short hair. She does have a small tuft of longer white hair at the back of her head that you can see. She bigger than Ginger but still a bit small for supposedly being a year old. She's bossy over Ginger, so I'm guessing she's the dominant one.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 4:52 am

Awww!!! Such wonderful piggies!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 am

They are all very cute! Oreo looks like he could be the mischievous sort. :)

Congrats on the new additions!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 12:35 pm

What cuties!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Oreo is a climber. He gets up on the side of his cage like that all the time. I wonder if he'll find his way to the top of his house. He also curls up under it when he sleeps. He looks pretty peaceful. He's very friendly once he gets over the quick initial shock of getting approached. He's got good eating habits too. It looks like he came from a good home. After I get him acclimated to us, I'll start slowly introducing him to outside and grass grazing.

The girls have good eating habits too. I think it might be a little while longer before they start getting introduced to outside grazing. They're just so scared of everything still. More than Sammy and Dean were at first. Maryanne keeps dominating Ginger and she really doesn't like that. Their cage is too small and I think that has a lot to do with it. She's only does it when Ginger approaches the opening of the tunnel. It's like she has claimed that as hers and is going to defend it. It does take up a bit of space in the small cage.

The big cages are supposed to arrive as soon as Friday, so that should help out a lot. I've been thinking about taking the tunnel out, but that would leave them both with no place to hide. Maybe I can rig something else up like a hammock or fleece forest until their new one gets here. I can also give them more floor time to compensate for the cramped temporary living quarters. That also has the added benefit of getting them used to being handled by us.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 1:15 am

They are all such cuties. I love the names, Ginger and Maryann. Poor Mrs. Howell (Lovey) was left out. ;)

I'm surprised the Humane Society is having trouble placing animals. Animals are in high demand here and many have multiple deposits to hold them for adoption. The prices and adoption policies haven't changed, but lots of cats are getting homes so I hope people keep them once they start going back to work. That would be the time to start a pet sitting business.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 2:52 am

The humane society isn't having trouble adopting out their small animals like guinea pigs. That's what has us worried. More so that people with bad intentions are taking advantage of the free adoption policy and lack of proper vetting to get their hands on these animals than the HS putting them down. We all know what can happen with "Free to a good home" adoptions. I adopted these 3 yesterday. I don't expect a welfare call on them like I got with BJ and Sam and Dean.

Ginger has started chasing Maryann around the cage now, so it seems the tables are turned. I don't want to separate them. It's nothing more than just chasing each other around and as long as it doesn't get any more serious, I won't have to. They seem to start that up when I come in to give them attention or feed them. Do any of you with females have this issue?

The only way I have to separate them is to use the canvas bottom cage; which would take away the ability to take any of the piggies outside to graze and require more rearranging and some woodwork. That or put one of the single boys in the smaller cage and put the girls in the bigger one. Anything I do would only be temporary until the big cages arrive. Unless Amazon has issues they'll be here Friday.

Oreo is right next to the girls. He doesn't pay them any mind, but could that be causing the issue with the girls? I think he might be neutered because his testicles do not protrude at all like the rest of my boars. He doesn't drag his bottom to mark his scent either. That's the first thing all 4 of the other males do as soon as I put them down. Doesn't matter where I set them. They drag their scent immediately. I'll have to double-check the paperwork on him.