The 3 (new) little piggies

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 2:50 am

Cage day today and I decided to get photos of my guinea pigs since it's been a while since I've posted updates on them other than medical issues. Gilligan and Skipper really hate being in the tote while I change their bedding. It's rare to see them sit still when they're in it. They usually chase each other around or climb up the side for me to get them out. Once back in their clean cage, they frolic around checking it out and then eat some of the fresh hay I always put in for them. Then they go into their tunnels to take a nap. You can see in this photo that the lump on Gilligan's nose is mostly gone and the fur over his scab is raised slightly.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 am

Ginger piggy really cool, calm and relaxed claiming his end of blanket. Love the white bits! The dark one love his white on butt looks like a wave, lovely colours! Reminds me of dear Jaffa!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:25 pm

Oh my gosh, you guys! I was browsing around, looking for something else, not for guinea pigs to adopt (I can't take on any more than the 10 I already have) and I came across a one year old male guinea pig named Oreo and he looks nearly identical to our Oreo that we lost over a year ago. Only problem besides not having room for another piggie is that he's in St Louis. I'm being very honest when I say that the urge to drive the 160 miles and make room for him is nearly irresistible. Why do I do this to myself? Anyway, I thought I'd share him here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:33 pm

It is easy to fall in love with a guinea pig. Important to consider whether it is the right thing to do (space, time).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Could this be a sign from your Oreo? You thought you had no room for Buttercup and her pups. How much more would one piggy take? What I suggest is sit down with pen and papers write pros and cons. Discuss it with your family, look at your set up and then once gone through all of that make your decision with the knowledge you have achieved. Wish you luck what ever you decide! Very handsome boy! Hope he finds a loving home! Either way!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:17 pm

I think he's calling your name. There's almost always room for one more pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:35 am

It would take $100 in gas, I'd have to get another of the big cages for him and totally rearrange my room. Even then I couldn't be sure there's a spot to put his cage. The biggest pro is that there's no shortage of love and care in our home. Like I said, why do I do this to myself?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:19 am

Like I said, why do I do this to myself?

Because you have a big heart!

Now I am in Australia so not too sure on this. BUT if you post in Placements that there is a piggy in St Louis MAYBE there is some in or close to the rescue, then they will travel pick up piggy and then meet someone else, then someone else until you have piggy with you. They call it a piggy train! What have you got to lose? Can not the cage go on top of cages near window?
I have bought dog crates for the boys at $39.00 each. Maybe that would help for one piggy? At floor or grass time he could see other piggies?
This may help? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0
Or this one https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0

BUT have seen your handy work I am sure if you went and bought wire and metal base you could make a spiffy cage! Think about it! NO pressure! It is up to you!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:41 am

It's expensive for the gas and the cage, but not prohibitive. I could swing that part. As far as stacking the cage on top of the others, that would put it up so high that I'd need a stool or ladder to get him out. The only other option would be to sacrifice my bedside table and move my oxygen machine to my wife's side of the bed. Any other way would require totally rearranging the whole room and getting rid of at least one of the storage chests and finding different spots for the stuff on it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:12 am

I don't know how heavy machine is I presume a C Pap machine? But couldn't cage sit on bedside table and machine on top of cage? OR Make a table for cage that sits over bedside table for cage to sit on? Would that work?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:43 pm

My oxygen machine is a heavy duty roll around condenser. It's a bit heavy. My sleep apnea is mild enough for a nose cannula to be effective as opposed to a CPAP. The beauty is that I have a mile of tubing for it (exaggeration, of course 😁). It can sit just about anywhere. We'll just have to make sure the tubing is placed in a way where we don't trip on it. The bedside table is another issue. I really depend on it. My lamp, cellphone charger and pistol (for home defense) is on it, along with a bottle of water I sip on through the night. Oxygen tends to dry out my nose and throat, even with the distilled water evaporator attached to the machine.

I'm still thinking about this. Oreo isn't going to be adopted before Monday, so I have the weekend to consider everything and plan for the extra cage if I decide to adopt him.

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:40 pm

FWIW, I hope you make the decision to get him. I would hate to read that you passed on him and then in a few days you were very sorry you didn't get him. He looks adorable.

What if the tubing just went under the bed?