Wilber and Grady

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:24 am

Did you use this page to help with calculations? You need the weight of your guinea pig. Keep in mind 1ml=1cc. It is easier to use cc for the dose.
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

So your suspension is 30mg/ml The dose for Scruffy was 0.4cc. The dose for Grady is 0.5cc. So Grady is getting more than Scruffy got but this may be adjusted by weights. Go find the weights of each guinea pig and you will be able to calculate the dosage.

The dosage will be how many mg is given for each kilo of weight. I can't tell you what the dosage should be for Orbax.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:12 pm

I did use that one. Since orbax isn't on the list, I used Baytril since it is the closest thing. The dose is about right.

Grady isn't getting more than Scruffy got. He's getting 0.5 ml once a day. Scruffy's dose was 0.4 twice a day, or 0.8 combined daily dose. Then again, Scruffy's infection was much further along and far more serious. It was progressed enough for the infected area of his bowels to bleed. His onset was on a Saturday too, so he had to wait for two days to see a vet bleeding like that and not eating. He was lucky to have made it through that weekend, to say nothing of making a full recovery and living another year. Looking back and remembering that ordeal makes me appreciate his resilience and the extra year I got with him even more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Orbifloxacin [generic] (Orbax [brand name])

You cannot use the dosage for enrofloxacin and orbifloxacin interchangeably.

I can' find a dosage online or in in Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary.

It's quite possible it is a reasonable dose. I just cannot confirm ti.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:24 pm

If all you have to go off is Scruffy's dose, sounds like Grady's dose is ballpark & not excessive.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 pm

There's Scruffy's dose and what was prescribed by Grady's vet. She is qualified to treat guinea pigs and she did a good job. She seems pretty knowledgeable but she hasn't earned my full trust just yet. It took Dr Landon and Dr Waller a few successful visits with my pigs to earn my trust. It never hurts to get more than one opinion, which is why I asked you guys.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:17 am

Poor little Grady Bug. He just hates getting his medication. I give him extra lap time and cuddles to make up for having to force that syringe into his mouth. He's such a lively little guy despite the runny nose. So far (knock on wood) his appetite hasn't changed. If anything, it's increased some. Day 4 of 14 is in the books and his eye seems to have mostly cleared up, but his runny nose hasn't shown much improvement yet. He does like sitting with me though. I always worry that my guinea pigs will associate getting picked up and held with getting the syringe, so when any of them have to go on meds, I make sure to give them extra attention. So far it's working because Grady doesn't run away from me when I go to get him out.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 am

Handsome boy. He looks like king of his world! Such a sweetheart!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Believe it or not, this guinea pig is not Skipper. It's actually Wilber. He's got almost the same markings as Skipper. He's also got long hair in nearly the same places as Skipper does. Its almost like they're twins. How cool is that? He chows on grass every bit as much as any of the other piggies do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Looks like he's dragging his tail!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Yeah I just noticed that tail. I found out last night that Neely has the same kind of tail.

I love that coloring - makes him look sort of like a squirrel, but a little browner.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:35 am

Grady has that runny eye which comes and goes. It'll run for a day and then it's ok for a week or longer. It doesn't seem to be any kind of infection. It doesn't cause him any discomfort either. He eats, drinks and plays normally so we're going with it and keeping watch on it. I clean it for him when it dries and gets crusted on his cheek. Well today was one of his runny eye days and before I could get him and clean it, Wilber did it for me. He went over and licked it clean and Grady didn't seem to mind. I've never seen paired guinea pigs take care of each other like that.

Sure, they comfort each other and play together, but cleaning each other on a personal level like that is something I never thought I'd see. I'm not sure if Grady's eye fluid is bad for Wilber to be licking, but it was actually cute to see him taking care of his brother like that.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:08 am

Oh, that's so heartwarming!!