Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:10 pm

They grabbed it and poked a hole in it. I guess the girls didn't like the juice because they had nothing more to do with them. The boys ate theirs and Ruffles, who is the Abby girl only half of hers.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:18 pm

So we had another tornado scare last night. No warning, no nothing. Just a message across the phone saying to take shelter now. We were fortunate it didn't hit us directly, but other parts of the Ozarks weren't so lucky. We scrambled to get everyone downstairs to the basement and made it just as the high winds, rain, thunder and lightning hit us. Not bad considering we didn't have time to stage the carriers and totes to carry everyone down in, since no tornado watch was issued in advance. We had quite a bit of wind damage to our trees and it was strong enough to blow through the open window and toss a few things around our living room, but nothing major as a tornado didn't touch down by us. It was just a lot of wind.

I figured on having at least a couple of months to get the emergency cages built. Boy was I wrong. We had to keep all but 3 of the piggies in totes throughout the sheltering time. Mr Bubbles had one of the large carriers and Kahlua and Jack each had one of the small ones. Most of the piggies were ok, but poor Buttercup and her two girls were terrified. You could see her eyes dilated as she had that terrified look on her face. Her two daughters were huddled up underneath her the whole time, which was about 30 minutes. It took an hour and carrot treats to get them to relax again.

I learned my lesson. Their emergency cages will be done by the end of this week.
Last edited by Renonvsparky on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Does sound scary! I hope you are never in the path of a tornado!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:36 pm

I was wondering about you Friday night & how you were handling getting the pigs situated. We had so much weather going on here that I really wasn't paying attention to your part of the state & if you were in the thick of it. Glad you got them all down to safety, if not the way you had planned.

A couple of months after we moved to St. Louis from Kansas City, in Jan. 1967, we had an F4 hit about a half mile down the street from us. No warning what so ever. The storm was bad and the lights went out & my dad looked out the front door and in a flash of light saw the tornado to the west. He said "Hit the basement". About 10 years ago we had an F3 tornado a bit south of where I live on New Year's Eve. We have a warm up or 2 most winters & when the cold front comes through there's the potential for severe weather.

I knew we were in for trouble when I looked at:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Of course it doesn't look the way it looked on Fri. The area that had the really bad supercell that went through AR, MO, TN, and KY was red. I've hardly ever seen that.

I was watching the weather & asked my daughter if she had plans for getting the pigs into the basement, so she thought about it. When the sirens went off we carried most of the pigs in carriers & had Neely & one of her babies separate. Nothing came close, so we put the pigs back & then the sirens went again.

There wasn't any severe weather where we are, but there was plenty in the metro area, into IL. There were several different storms involved producing tornadoes.

I know this is long. I'm a tornado geek.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:43 am

Look at Buttercup and her girls. They've gotten pretty comfortable in our home. I get this greeting now instead of having to coax them out. It won't be long before they let me pick them up without having to chase them around the cage. From left to right, it's Muffin, Buttercup and Ruffles.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:58 am

Daughters look like they are smiling. So cute all 3 of them!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:25 am

Yeah. They've picked up the dreaded wire chewing habit passed down from Scruffy. The only one of the 11 pigs I have now who doesn't do it is Buttercup.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:02 am

What a cute little family!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:57 am

Got an email from the vet in Reno that had been seeing Buttercup. Apparently, this is her approximate birthday. She is 2 years old now. Happy birthday sweet girl!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:54 am

Happy birthday Buttercup. Hope you enjoy it with your girls and get loads of treats! You are a darling girl and lucky to have found your forever home! Get spoiled sweetie!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:17 am

Happy birthday Buttercup! Love the cute pic.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:25 am

Hope Buttercup had a happy birthday!