Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm

I thought it was about time to open a chronicle for Buttercup. She's such a sweet and timid little girl. She doesn't mind getting picked up and held, but she still runs into her house when I approach her. That's actually an improvement because she used to do that as soon as I walked into the room or walked by the doorway. She's a pretty good eater too. She doesn devour hay like the boys do, but she eats at it in little bits quite often. She seems impervious to the 7 boars across the room and they are to her. She's quite the cuddler too. She's going to be happy here with us.

Speaking of the 7 boars across the room, they're all doing well too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:17 am

I thought it was a requirement to post a picture when you start a chronicle! Looking forward to having pictures of her here.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:20 am

Your wish is my command! It's pretty hard to get a good clear photo of her because she's still a bit skittish. We're still working on that, but I was able to get a couple of pictures of her grazing outside. She really likes that. Enjoy!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:23 am

She is a looker! So glad she is settling in and has a male harem she doesn't know about! Love the grass, send some to the girls down under please? Look forward to hearing more about little Buttercup!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 am

What a cutie! Thanks so much for the pics!!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Don't be fooled, Daisy. Grass is very hard to keep green in this desert and if you saw the entire lawn, you wouldn't be so impressed LOL. There's is just over half of the lawn that's nearly brown because of the drought and watering restrictions. I'm certainly not going to put the piggies on those areas and hence there's no photos of them. I can only water on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and I have to water the garden twice on those days to keep it going. That's another thing on the long list of reasons why I'm getting out of here and going to Missouri.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:40 pm

What a little cutie - you can tell she has personality!

We're in a watering ban here as well, just after I got all my flowers and beans doing so well. I put ice cream pails in the sinks and I'm catching the water when we wash our hands, wash veggies, and when we rinse dishes. That amounts to a few watering cans daily. I also mulched everything I could with dry leaves and I plant a lot in pots so I don't need as much water. So much for Land of 10,0000 lakes!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:41 am

Buttercup had 4 little babies tonight. So far everything looks good, but mother and babies are going to the vet tomorrow to get looked at.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 am

So she was pregnant. Poor little mite. So glad mum and bubs are doing well. Guess you're a grand pappy again! Hoping all continues to go well! Hope vet visit goes well too! Bet you were in shock when Buttercup gave birth!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Not really in shock when they were born, but a week ago when her sides really popped out and I realized that she was pregnant, it was a mix of shock and anger at the lady who rooked my daughter into taking in a pregnant female. That lady knew she was going to have babies and dumped her onto the first person she could get to take her in. Lucky for Buttercup that person is me.

I have no idea what I'm doing here. I only have boys and know nothing about what to do. I'm giving mama extra veggies with a little bit of critical care sprinkled on them to make sure she gets enough nutrients. She's eating it so I guess that's a good sign. I know to make sure she doesn't run out of hay or water. I'm hoping that all of the little ones make it through the night until I can get them all to the vet in the morning. They'll be there as walk in so they will be there for a bit. I'll change their bedding while they're gone. I also know not to handle them any more than is absolutely necessary for the first week or so.

Lastly I know to post pictures of them as soon as possible, which I will do when my phone with the imgur app is back up and running. Here's a link I hope will work in the meantime. I can't get pictures of all the babies just yet but you can see a couple of them in these pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:55 am

They are adorable and look like their mum. If their is a runt make sure it gets extra feeds from mum. Maybe these will help? https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
When we had an accident years ago, we looked after mum, kept them all warm, and made sure the runt got extra feeds from mum. Thankfully all 5 survived. Ask the vet for advice! There was a reason your daughter was chosen to bring her home to you! She is very lucky and so are her little bundles of joy!

Bubs can eat solids a few hours after birth and start running around fairly quickly too! Wishing you luck!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:26 am

How right you are daisy! These little ones are very lively, especially for being only a few hours old. One of them keeps going out of the hut and to the other side of the cage and mama has to chase him or her back into the hut. I know it's ok for them to venture out to forage and explore, but for some reason Buttercup doesn't want them to. Must be the motherly protective instinct. I have a really cute video that I hope you all will be able to watch.