Neely and her babies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 am

Neely's babies are 6 days old! Still tiny but filling out a bit. They follow mom around all the time. She moves to a different spot and they're right on her heels, almost like she's dragging a skirt along.

Yesterday morning my daughter came down & found Neely on top of the little stool we put in the cage for a hidey. I assumed she was "thinking" - just 10 minutes away from the kids, that's all I need. She's a very good and attentive mom.

The babies were born 1 day after daughters realized that she was pregnant, so we had to hustle with accommodations. They're in a rabbit cage we had & we'll set up a c&c cage shortly. We'll have to put cardboard in between the cubes & coroplast for the babies.

We put her in the rabbit cage the day we figured out she was pregnant, thinking we'd have a few days. The next morning we came down to find 2 tiny babies with 2 more on the way.

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 pm

No pictures????????

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:52 pm

There's a picture on "Neely's medical thread"

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =2&t=78224

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:31 pm

Here is the adorable picture she posted!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks Lynx. The smallest at birth, gaining weight but still the smallest, we call Timid. She's the one who's mostly white and stays close to her mom. The two behind her are Black Sleeve (1 black leg) and Light Abby. I can't tell from this pic which is which, but it looks like the one just behind Timid is the abby. The pig out front is Dark Abby, the most bold.

We'll rename when they get older.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:19 pm

It was so cute once we realized that Buttercup and her babies all made it. They're almost 3 months old now and still every bit as cute. I separated the two boys at about 3 weeks. At that time, they were all weaned, eating normally and drinking from the water bottle. The two girls are still with mom, but she doesn't let them bother her. She actually keeps order in that cage and gets her peace by keeping the little ones in line. I'm sure that when it's time, Neely will do the same.

You will know when the time comes to get the baby boys away from the girls because you'll see them start showing a certain interest. Even if they aren't sexually mature enough, they'll start chasing the girls around. At least mine did. I'm pretty sure you know all of this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:51 pm

I can't wait to hear more about Neely and her babies!

It is kind of disconcerting to see Renonvsparky's guinea pigs here - I keep thinking I must have mixed up whose topic I am reading!

I know how enthusiastic you are about all your guinea pigs, Renonvsparky. It might be better to post a link to your pics or a link to a post you've made with those pics displayed rather than put them on another guinea pig's Chronicle topic. It would make Neely and pups topic easier to follow and less confusing.

Alternatively, are you at all interested in my moving your posts and associated comments to Buttercup's Chronicle? I checked and these pics don't seem to be there. They would be a great addition to your Chronicle of Buttercup and her pups!
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 14&t=78194

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 am

Sure. Go for it. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. My original intent was to show how Buttercup maintains control and gets her space when she wants it. Things went off track from there.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:55 am

No problem. I would like to see more on Buttercup's Chronicle.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Okay, I'll sort through the conversation and kind of create a link through. bpatters is a master of post moving so it may take me a while to figure it out. I will try to do it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, more on the new family!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:53 am

Successfully merged Renonvsparky's Buttercup posts!

Moved posts and some associated posts start here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 9#p2317829

From one of those posts, Bookfan writes:
We're calling them all "she" right now - wishful thinking because we hate to separate them. But if we have males, I hope there are 2 so they can live together. The plan is to adopt some of them out, but that's going to be very hard. I don't think we have room for a permanent third cage and this is an all-female setup.
So tell me, is it looking "she's" or are a few "he's" suspected?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:46 pm

Well, daughter thinks there's one "he" - the "light Abby". They've named him Toby - he's the most clingy at this point. We'll find out for sure next week when they go to the vet on the 9th, 1 day before they're 3 weeks old. I'd rather have 2 boys so they can be adopted as a pair. I hate to see the little guy go off by himself.

I'm not involved with their care but it's still going to be hard to part with any of them. But having 7 pigs is a bit much. Our max has always been 3.