Neely and her babies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm

The problem with this is Toby will have to live alone and we don't have room for a 2'x3'. We've got a rabbit cage on wheels that will do for the time being.

Neely's big adventure:
Big excitement last night. I went downstairs to do some laundry & there was an awful lot of squeaking. Then I heard some big sounds like something being shoved around. Neely had got into the adjacent cage with Fuzz & Vicky & they were chasing her around, making a lot of noise while they were at it. We had not successfully introduced Neely into their cage before she had her babies and she was not welcome.

So we knew she liked to get on top of the hut, but it was too far from the sides of the cage (by design) for her to get out. We couldn't figure it out. Daughter got busy clothes-pinning the towels that we have over the ends of the cage at small intervals. They had been secured with 4 clothes pins, 2 on each side, apparently loose enough for her to jump through. At some point daughter saw Neely try to jump from the house top to the triangular pad (didn't succeed) that has fleece strips attached. It's right at the corner & close to the top so we think she launched herself under the towel and into the next cage from there. She doesn't seem to be injured, but she's going to the vet on Thurs. with her babies. The fleece forest has been removed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Sooooo, was this a launch into a potential new social family
OR
an escape from whining pups and motherly duties?

[p.s. my mother once hid behind a door in the basement to escape her 10 children. I thought it was hilarious at the time, not understanding the pressures being a mother brings!]

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:58 pm

I think it was escape. She seems somewhat stressed but maybe we're just reading that in to her behavior. The babies venture out on their own more now, but I still see her running across the cage with 4 little pigs following spread around her back end like a skirt.

Your poor mom. I would have been a straight jacket. My sister & I used to fight, like all siblings. Sometimes my mom would loose it & we'd immediately forget what we were fighting about, join forces & run into our room & lean against the door so she couldn't get in. And yeah, we thought it was hilarious.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Maybe you can grab the mom and give her some alone time with some tasty vegs? I bet she would love you/your daughters all the more!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am

Yes, daughters have decided to do that. She's just reached the point where she can be separated from her babies & not get agitated. Daughter has &been giving her critical care (she hasn't been holding her weight) and last night right before the feed, she snuggled in & rested her head on daughter's arm & licked her. They're going to give her solo time in addition to cc care administration.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:54 pm

Not everything about having to hand feed critical care is bad. Some of the best bonding between me and the guinea pigs I've had to hand feed has happened during the feeding sessions.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Yes! And the bonding seems to last even after we stop the critical care.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm

It made my last 10 months with Scruffy special. After he recovered and up until his passing were the best times I had with him. It was the same with BJ. I think you will find the same joy with yours as they continue to show you the love and appreciation they have for you after taking such great care of them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 pm

I wish we could talk my chicken that I cared for so diligently last year when she was attacked by fly larva and needed care inside for over a month into bonding with me. Perhaps my reward was that she recovered and gave me a bunch of eggs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:11 pm

We're getting guinea foul to go with the chickens and goats. They're the best natural pest control. They eat ticks, flies and just about every nuisance bug there is.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 am

Renonvsparky, you do realize, I hope, that you'll never have another moment's peace and quiet as long as those guinea hens are alive. They're the noisiest creatures on the planet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 am

But so endearing! I have a nice quiet stuffed guinea fowl in the house. I think they are cool birds!

They can be vulnerable to predators. If raised from very young, you might be able to get them to go inside at night. They roost in trees.