Kahlua and Jack

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:43 pm

It's about time they got their own thread and what better way to start it off than with a picture of them on their first outside grazing experience. They did surprisingly well considering how jumpy they are. Jack did more running around exploring the new environment more than Kahlua, but both of them ate some grass. I kept it short and sweet this time, but they'll get more time in the future.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:11 pm

What a lovely butterscotch color they are!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:59 am

Those two are adorable.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Looks like they're enjoying it!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Nearly identical except for the little bit of extra white on Kahlua just behind his ears.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am

Yeah, I was just noticing that.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 am

They're absolutely perfect. They finally got to where they trust me enough to take food from my hand and it's gotten a lot easier to pick them up.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:47 am

That's always so satisfying.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 am

Kahlua has found a way to get under the fleece bedding. Can't imagine why he would want to do that, considering how gross it gets under there. All of the urine that passes through the fleece soaks into the bedding pellets underneath.

I'm going to have to engineer a way to keep him from doing that. I think I'm going to cut the bottom out of another pipe section and put that in for him and Jack. It's a darker and more secure place to hide than the big hut they share. It's not as easy to get on top of, but the baby girls figured it out. I think the boys can too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:32 am

Yes, do prevent him from hiding there! We had at least one member whose guinea pig had respiratory issues for something similar. Maybe try a fleece forest too if they need more variety and feel like hiding. A thinner "forest" would allow for better air circulation.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:11 pm

My plan involves a bigger cage for them. I was going to have to get one eventually anyway.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:38 pm

Another option for a darker place is to take one of the grids and bend it over your knee to make a tunnel. Then just drape a piece of fleece over the top. I had one of these and I made fabric covers that fit like a book cover. It's dark and safe, but still has good ventilation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGu9W70MBXr/