Gidget

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm

What a sweetheart! It sounds like she is settling right in.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:01 am

She's all kinds of adorable!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:24 am

Gidget is an active little pig. As soon as I put her in her big pig cage, she investigates and then does a few runs. I bought a couple of wire cabinet shelves to put in the corners. I thought she would have more floor space since she can run through those from any direction. They are her favorite hideys. I just put a piece of fleece on top, until I noticed she hopped on top of one. So now I thread a wide strip of fleece through the wire, and then top it off with a fleece pad so she can't get her toes caught. They look like little car ports.

Here are a few pictures and a short video of her antics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWOoYiRP9Bz/

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:59 am

Awww! So sweet!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:14 am

What fun luxury accomodations! Glad she is enjoying it so much!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:43 pm

She is such a cutie pie!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:52 pm

It’s so much fun seeing her learn new things. She’s figuring out the snuffle mat and finds most everything I hide for her. At first she didn’t know to dig and would just sniff around and leave. She responds to her name, and when my husband says “Pig!” He’s been feeding her carrot pieces, which I’m slicing extra thin so she doesn’t get too much. Portion control is an abstract idea to him so I have keep an eye on the carrots.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:58 pm

It's not hard to shave some lovely pieces of carrot. You could use a peeler perpendicular to a cut end for some nice delicate ones! Perhaps if you give your husband a tool and a "number" (of slices), you could monitor amounts better?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:27 am

I either give mine a baby carrot each or I cut up a whole one for treats about twice a week. With 12 piggies, the portion of the big carrot and the baby carrots are about the same. They're such sweet little gluttons! If I tell them treats are coming, they go crazy. They know that word and they know it means something really tasty is on the way. They also know the sound of me chopping up veggies. There are a few other sounds associated with their food which they know. The rattling of the plastic bag the lettuce comes in, the running water in the kitchen, the clanking sound the metal pans I use to bring their food make to name a few. Guinea pigs are well in tune with their food, which explains Gidget's excitement if she's getting treats when he says the word "pig". I think it's so adorable!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:56 pm

He doesn't do food prep at all unless it's opening a can. That's okay, I just cut a couple of the baby carrots up at a time and then I also have some cooked for the dog.

I agree, guinea pigs tune in when it comes to food. I[m waiting for her to figure out mealtime for the dog as well. Lacey knew when the dog got treats and pitched a fit so she got something too. There's no sneaking food with a guinea pig around!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Little stinker Gidget is building bridges. Literally. She has wire shelves in the corners with a pads on top that she uses for hideys and that she hops up on. Today she pushed her plastic hidey bin over to one shelf, hopped up on top of the shelf and ran across the top of the hidey. This little urban girl is going to be trouble. She should be wearing a cape.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:42 pm

Sounds like Scruffy. He used to push his hut wherever he needed it to get into places he shouldn't go. Nobody will ever convince me that guinea pigs aren't smart and cunning animals.