9/11 Twenty Years Later

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Some of you don't remember this, but 9/11/01 GL was my lifeline. I was in the DC suburbs, trying to listen to the radio, not able to access most news sites (they were flooded) and not able to make calls (again, flooded). Those of you who were able to post on GL kept those of us who couldn't "get out" updated. You really helped me through a terrible, terrible day. I can't believe that was 20 years ago. If memory serves, we even had a GL baby born that day.

Every year it feels like yesterday. I wish we as a society would learn from tragedy and make things better/act better. Different drama, new year. Round we go.

I'm glad you're still here. Remember those who didn't get to today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Twenty years ago. It seems unreal. Yes, I remember a GL baby born that day. I think there was at least one other sibling also born on 9/11 (a different year).

I had gone for a walk late morning. A little before 11am two fighter jets flew loud and low overhead. They brought it all back.

I was at a doctor's office twenty years ago.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:23 am

I was at work when my husband called that fateful day, 20 years ago. He was watching the news and was seeing it "live" as things were rapidly unfolding. I couldn't comprehend what he was saying at first, but ran into the conference room to tell our senior managers what was happening. They were upset with me for interrupting their meeting.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:56 am

I was working at a paper manufacturing company and i watched the news on my computer. In my department everyone had home offices or worked off-site, so I was alone in the office, but connected via e-mail and instant messaging. We just couldn't believe what we were seeing.

It had already been a year of turmoil after the presidential election when the Supreme Court stepped in and appointed George W. Bush president. Public opinion and confidence were low, people were edgy and worried about the economy. The prior week, against my financial advisor's recommendations, I moved my 401k investments into the stable value fund.

In the weeks and months that followed, our company tightened security and rolled out training for all of us in case of a terrorist attack. We were one of many manufacturing companies with a power plant and energy generator on site, so we were considered a target for terrorists.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 pm

I still find the whole thing upsetting. What a nightmare. I was in bed with an inner ear thing that made me nauseated when I stood up. My mom called and told me what was going on & I dragged myself into the living room - and watched for hours.

A few days later I was with my parents, talking about how horrible it was. They looked at each other and said, well the Blitz during WWII... ( London was systematically bombed by the Luftwaffe for 56 of the following 57 days and nights...More than 40,000 civilians were killed by Luftwaffe bombing during the war, almost half of them in the capital, where more than a million houses were destroyed or damaged. - Wiki).

Except for Pearl Harbor, this is the 1st time our country has been attacked.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1