Ukraine

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:24 am

Thanks for posting that, Bookfan. I'm just really struggling with all of this. I do not see this ending well.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:23 pm

This is interesting:

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:59 pm

Children's hospital was bombed today:
https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-mariupol-hosital-bombed-russia/31744934.html

Just the latest atrocity against innocent civilians, and it will not be the last. As I said earlier, this is not going to end well---at least not for the people of Ukraine. We have only to bitch and moan about paying $5 a gallon at the pump.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:25 pm

It really is horrible. Putin was bombing hospitals in Syria when he was helping Assad a few years ago.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:37 pm

This is Putin’s war, not Russia but they’re being dragged down a very dark hole by an unhinged dictator. Unless he has a sudden lightbulb moment and is willing to negotiate more favourably, sadly it is likely to get worse before it gets better. Being from the UK, I’m keeping a close eye on reports and at least the majority of Europe (in NATO or not) so far, are standing as one behind Ukraine but must remain out-with its borders. Putin is a dirty fighter willing to sacrifice civilians, his conscripts and the truth on this power trip of his. If he’s planning another Soviet Union it won’t stop at Ukraine and even Belarus are realising this isn’t going as easily as they expected. The other ex Soviet states have had a taste of freedom and democracy and I very much doubt they’ll want to return either.

It’s been interesting following the flight tracker apps. Obviously those flights that are not meant to be seen aren’t, but there is a clear showing of solidarity with those of the various militaries. The large USAF unmanned surveillance drones patrolling the Black Sea, Ukrainian and Polish borders. The UK RAF and USAF fighter planes going through their paces around the UK coast and Cyprus then appearing briefly in Romania, Poland and Bulgaria later that day before ‘disappearing’. The US and UK supertankers however, continue their circling so must be providing fuel for something before following a lone fighter or two back to base. There has been almost daily flights from the Dutch military, German, Italian, Turkish, Bulgarian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Canadian and the Baltic states making their presence known. IMHO Putin is goading NATO but thankfully we all have enough self control not to give him any excuse and as much as the Ukraine want the skies closed, it will draw in Putin more. The thinking is he’ll go chemical as he did in Syria and nuclear is last resort. There was also reports of ex special forces groups going out from UK to train the Ukrainians in tactics and target practice.

Even though we don’t import much oil or gas from Russia, the knock-on effect is serious. My current gas/petrol price is £1.65 per litre. Converting to gallons and dollars it works out at $9.80 per gallon. Diesel is even more expensive.

Pales into insignificance when watching the news reports from further east in Europe. :-(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:29 pm

So very troubling. Also, I'm seeing indications that China has been perpetuating misinformation, and several outlets stated today that Putin is asking for military and economic assistance from China.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:00 pm

I sure hope China does not take Russia's side.

This is an interesting article, Webs. What do you think of it?
https://www.ft.com/content/503fb110-f91e-4bed-b6dc-0d09582dd007

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:22 am

China is the troubling wild card. We are seeing Western Intelligence on Russia's military capability will need to be re-written. They are getting their asses kicked by a country they should have taken within 72 hours had their fighting ability been accurately assessed. They can not even lay siege to the major city. They are being badly exposed here. I don't think their soviet leaning brethren will wish to help out seeing that there is not much Russia will ever be able to do for them.

Just my opinion but China has their own agenda with clear objectives for it's future and they don't include not being able to trade with the West. They understand economic power is the real might, while Russia has believed that making 200 or so Putin buddies multi - billionaires and then kicking back half to him can get enough money to fight a war, for a week or so maybe but they have nothing to get it done with. They have absolutely nothing militarily speaking. I watched a video of a helicopter shot down the other day by a very simple infrared missile. It took no evasive action, it had no time to plot a firing solution, nothing, absolutely nothing, it could have been a drone for target practice. Several of our generational helicopters would have destroyed the missile site seconds after that system was even turned on.

I read above that Putin's willingness to fight dirty is of concern. Don't underestimate the Ukrainian people. They weren't real nice during World War II, they are perfectly capable of matching anything Putin wishes to do. Don't forget that when the Nazis were even sickened by the concentration camp brutality it was The Ukrainians they hired to do the job, they didn't have a problem doing it.

China and Nukes, that's the real concern here. By itself Russia will not take The Ukraine, it's clear they aren't capable, they are bumbling along, outrunning their supply lines, the logistics are ridiculously bad, Their pilots! Oh my God I saw a couple that were taken prisoner, they re like 60 years old with huge guts, their top level attack fighter jets would have needed modifications to just to fit the pilots in the cockpits. They re good but... old

As for special forces training the Ukrainians, that's been going on for a while and of course continues, we don't call them special forces though, they have to "quit" the military for a while, take off their dog tags, and they then become "citizens" on their own helping out, yet some how get really good amounts of money deposited in their bank accounts by companies you've never heard of, that is how it works.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:45 am

Obviously not all Ukrainians, but the country has a reputation for being fierce & vicious during WWII, including towards Jews.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:51 pm

Yes, definitely not all Ukranians. I recently heard a nice story on NPR about a Jewish man who had traveled to Ukraine to meet the family that had hidden his father's family during the war, thus saving them from the Nazis. They did so knowing full well they would be killed themselves if found out.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 pm

There was a similar story in the WaPo.

31 posts