Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 am

Ditto Sef. The pictures above are of my guinea pig, Snowflake. You can soften the crust with vegetable oil or cold pressed coconut oil to clean it up if you wish.

Here is a crop of one of your pics - it does look rather similar. Let me know if it is okay to post it here:

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:08 am

Is getting her spade the only option? She is about 6 years old so I am a bit concerned because of that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:42 pm

The link Sef posted above notes: "For guinea pigs that are poor surgical candidates, hormone treatments such as HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) may temporarily shrink ovarian cysts.". There are a few other hormonal treatments that can help but it is temporary. If she has ovarian tumors and they are not excessively large, she could likely do alright for a while. A vet would be the best person to evaluate this. Note the common behavioral changes that you would see if she has reproductive issues. They are listed on the page Sef posted (see her link above).

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 pm

I am familiar with HCG in humans but I don't know about them in piggies.

Is hcg also temporary as well? Has there been cases were they are unresponsive and the only other option is spading? (Just weighing my options)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 pm

I think the various hormonal treatments all help some but are temporary.

As I noted, if the ovaries are not very enlarged and there is not a severe affect on behavior that is clearly hormonal and affecting health, she may be fine for some time. A vet would evaluate this.

Spaying a guinea pig should, of course, take care of any hormonal issues related to reproduction and prevent the uterus from infection (aka pyometra) since it is usually removed. How healthy a guinea pig is helps a vet determine what would be safest.

It might be best to just observe her for now and clean the crust off as described previously.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:04 pm

I see her nipples have reduced a bit in size but I don't know the actual normal size of a female piggy since this is my first female.

Can't do anything at the moment as they open back up next Monday because of Thanksgiving holiday

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:07 pm

This is not an emergency. I waited several months before I spayed my guinea pig Snowflake.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Oh alright. I just wanted to get a scan in to see if she has anything formed since I don't know how long she may of had that. They were pretty hidden. I tough yesterday she didn't even have the crust until I started to turn the nipples. Then I saw them on the other side.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello, all. I recently found something new when i went to give my female pig some pets. I will attach an image from gdrive. I found a bald spot on her lower right side just above her right lower leg. I know it could mean a few things but i also should mention she is around 5 years of age based of off my assumptions when she was rescued back when i adopted her and her pair who is resting in heaven.

Other things to note is it has been hot some days and she likes to sit on top of wet spots whether they be wet spots near the water bottle or her own urine. I tend to place rags to help dry those areas and interchange them till dry but she sometimes makes her way to them anyways. Your input would be much appreciated.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:49 pm

i remember a while ago an ovarian cyst was a possibility because she does have crust around both of her nipples. I did do the scan but they did not find anything. My vet told me it could well be that it is due to her age but seeing these bald spots now makes me think otherwise. she has been eating, drinking and coming out of her hut on her own with no differences in her every day life.

I did not notice any rashes or anything in the middle or around the bald spots as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Your picture is very clear. When I zoom in, it looks extremely peculiar. Either like the skin is folded or there is some unusual growth/parasite on the skin. No idea.

Do you by any chance have a digital microscope? They are very cool, quite inexpensive IMO and would tell you more about the surface of the skin.

Does the skin itself seem crusty? fungusy? unusual?

This is what I see when I zoom in:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 am

You might also increase her daily allotment of vitamin C. Aim for about 40-50 mg. per day. I had an elderly pig with hair loss on her sides, and increasing vitamin C cleared it up.

What kind of bedding do you use? You might want to consider fleece, as it wicks the moisture through and leaves the pig with dry bedding.