Moomintroll & Snufkin medical thread

littlemoomins

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:23 am

Thanks for the advice ItsaZoo. I'm glad to hear your piggy got back to normal!

littlemoomins

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi again,

I ended up taking Snufkin to a second vet for a second opinion. Their exam found that he has advanced dental disease which would require (at their estimate) dental surgery under general anaesthetic very 3-5 weeks for the rest of his life.

They explained that his jaw misalignment is likely caused by arthritis due to age and is not curable, and with the surgeries would be manageable - for a time.

My feeling is that, at his age of 5, I am not comfortable putting him through so many procedures involving general as the risk is quite high. I also feel it would detract from his quality of life significantly.

Snufkin is still managing to eat some veggies (slower than usual, but happily) and is in good body condition, and is happy. The vet has assured me he is not in any pain.

So, we have made the decision to support him with critical care and lots of love until he lets us know that it's time, and then we will let him go.

This breaks my heart but I really think it is the right decision for him.

It also leads to my next question - at some point, Snuffy won't be with us. How can I go about preparing my second pig Moomin for this, and what can I do when the time comes to make that transition/grief period easier on him?

Apologies for the very long post.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm

I am sorry for the poor prognosis. Continue to weigh him often. If there is something obvious like the incisors are getting too long, preventing closing the mouth, at least have them trimmed.

I can say, there are vets who might give a different prognosis. Don't completely give up.

Perhaps you will get a companion for your remaining guinea pig. Until then, these tips can help.
https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html