Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Thank you both very much!!!

And i found this..hope it can help anyone else, too..:https://www.youtube.com/shorts/J2i2kg-wGAc

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 am

we ve only got 1,5ml ... which is not enough to bring it on dog clinic...

Daisymay, how did you collected sample, if you can please write? How much did you need?

On urine sticks at home results are clear. He is drinking more than usual, but its extreme heat this days.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 am

At vet the vet squeezed bladder whilst I held onto specimen jar. You could try at home. But I preferred vet to do it. They had enough for dip stick and to spin it. You could try giving him some water and holding him and waiting. Little dickens has to go at some point. The old saying a watch pot never boils.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks for infromations and quick response... haha:) He did!
I cleaned the floor and than i let irie run around after i came home from work...And i put urine in the syringe and Irie quickly urinated twice and we got 2mls quickly..we felt cool..like we are dogs, arent we, haha:).

So, i brought it to nearest dog clinic..they are soo kind..if exotic vets would be so kind..ah..of course they arent..however urine analysis on stick-perfect, showed nothing wrong.. urine sediment under microscope..crystals and quite a bit baccteria still...no blood was found!

Exotic vet we firstly went to said he s got a lott of baccteria.. but this dog vet was so kind she even told me she sees some type of coccus ..if you ask something on exotic clinic all is wrong..but i dont care.. anymore, at least.

We have about 7 days of MArbocyl left, in thursday I am visiting Ringos vet to ask for another urine analysis then we will see if we need to switch to bactrim-i hope not, caue its heavy on Iries belly.

I am also thinking where to do ultrasound. At clinic my pigs went to(usually) you cant be present during ultrasound and i am fed up with that, i always was to be honest, but they were exotics experienced and i tought okay than..but two experienced vets arent available anymore..just 3 young vets..who give you impression they can do with your animal whatever they like.
I would like to find somewhere where i can be present during examination. Hope we will.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:18 pm

I hope you can find a vet you are comfortable with and who will let you be present too. Having an owner to comfort a pet can be helpful.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 am

We got urine checked out again..we tried yesterday, but failed miserably. So, we did again today..
Our legendary dog vet was working! i havent seen him in 3 years..he didnt change much:). I didnt tough, too..always bit of nervous about vet stuff, trying to get all 101 issues under control and act calm you know if you cant be you can pretend you are hahah..
HE said to meonce there is no need to be scared cause all problems are somewhat solvable..and he kind of puts that philosophy in action not just in words..

However he said there is aboslutely no blood, only little crystals and little bit of baccteria(not a lot as previous stated), we ve got three dosages of marbocyl left. HE said he wouldnt give Irie another AB on results he saw. Of course i am bit of worried cause there wasnt 0 baccteria.:):S
He also said he most likely wouldnt put Irie through ultrasound(on exotic clinic) due to his age and fact we have always looked up to-what are you gonna do than. And if i said if he would do ultrasound i saw he would, but as i say its okay, we willgo on exotic, cause he is not doing ultrasound on guinnea pigs, its no need he is learning all again just cause of us ..

I think if we would want even more accurate results we would need exotic analysis...so if we do more vet visits it would be on some exotic clinic for one visit urine analysis+ultrasound..but i have to yet decided if that is really needed. I wanted to start bactrim but if there is no need too...cause irie really suffers on the stomach than..he needs bactrim+reglan.

and than to surgeon..altough as much as his front tooth doesnt look okay(and it doesnt) he is eating all the time by himself-so of course it made you think if you would want mess with something, when he function on his own. I ll be honest with Ringo, Bob and the rest of the gang we usually didnt, if i didnt saw somebody really cant live with whatever trouble they had.
Visit to surgeon planned in july(not on sunny day cause its long drive). We will tell you what she said when we visit.

So i am in a bit of indecision..but the results are fairly good today..if anybody wants to express oppinion what you would do on our place, even with ab, advices are verywelcome.. When we got more results or oppinions on our issues we will report..meanwhile all i care is Irie is enjoying his life..and ziggy of course

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 am

I would watch Irie, if eating and weighed regularly and bright and happy in himself I would leave things as they are. You have urine dip sticks which you can always test urine when you are concerned. You have antibiotics and Probiotic if needed to be used. Like I said for now would just watch, love and enjoy Irie! Wishing you both love, joy and happiness! If eating with teeth like they are why do anything? Just watch carefully!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 am

However he said there is aboslutely no blood, only little crystals and little bit of baccteria(not a lot as previous stated), we ve got three dosages of marbocyl left. HE said he wouldnt give Irie another AB on results he saw. Of course i am bit of worried cause there wasnt 0 baccteria.:):S
Depending on the method of collecting the urine, bacteria can be present. The only way to tell precisely if there is any bacteria in the urine is a sterile sample taken directly from the bladder (cystocentesis, I think it's called). When it is tested after being peed out, there is always the possibility of picking up bacteria along the way.

The presence of infection in urine, you can sometimes smell. So after antibiotics are gone, watch for this (can also be due to exterior bacteria grown in wet hair combined with incontinence). It sounds like you've had issues with a sulfa drug like trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole (Bactrim). As you certainly know, it's often what we recommend. I do not know if this drug is one that can be "pulsed" (a higher dose once a week to kick out bacteria) but if you get a reinfection, maybe? I have heard of using Baytril (enrofloxacin) that way.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:55 am

Thanks both so much for an oppinions!!!

Daisymay, i agree..we will do as you wrote:)..

Ourcollection of the samples its of course not the best(floor catch) with sterille syringe and clean floor.

And Lynx, yeah, urine smelt awful when he got infection so i will watch for that. I also followed your advice on other topic and i cut his hair..we also have to cut some more on the belly(he s very long haired).

Irie had severe issues with ABs and Galli, my little previous pig the were absolutely extreme(highly sensitive)-the other two pigs never had thoose problems. We will try bactrim and reglan (he got bloated and doesnt poop, but with reglan is somehow managable, he only took it once when he was 3, now he is nearly 7), if we get reinfection...but i hope not.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:07 am

Well, it didnt go as planned.

First day off antibiotic i notice slightly too brown colour(altough not like real bloody red as before) and strong smell.

I went for dog clinic, immidiatly-alone of course. On stickall was okay..but of course sediment showed erytrocites(little bit) and little bit of baccteria.

It seemed ab worked..cause bacteria level is so low, now. So we put Irie on another 14 days of Marbocyl(the only AB he tolerates well).
I called for ultrasound somewhere near they said exoitc vet will be present on moneday morning, otherwise i can be present with Irie, of course and he wont have to wait alone..so..i ll be very greateful to the vet if we can figure something out. I ll see soon. I try to be as kind and calm as i can and Irie doesnt really care..i am visiting and calling vets, getting medication, carrying his urine around and he just is happy at home.. :).

Otherwise on clinic where Marbocyl was prescribed think bleeding is mostl likely from bladder wall.

And btw..does littleswines have prostate it can be prostate related? Anyboday knows...i am sorry i am so not educated.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:00 pm

Seem all male mammals have prostates but as humans eat meat guinea pigs prostates are less likely to be affected.https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +prostates Human males have seminal vesicles meaning more likely to get prostate cancer.

The only silly question is the one never asked! Good luck for Monday at the ultra sound! Paws crossed here!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:01 pm

Thanks so much for explanation and all!:)