Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:21 pm

You very welcome to send a pic to show how it is changed. Some guinea pigs have "peg teeth" that actually grow behind or next to the incisors.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 pm

Here you go. Can you describe more what is between the two incisors in the first pic? Is there anything resembling a tooth or splintered tooth on the back? They do look fairly crooked.

This does not look to me to be necessarily only the incisors. The molar could still be involved. Describe if the mouth closes fully or if it is a little open. With a broken tooth, often there is a sloped wear pattern that kind of corrects as the tooth grows out (if I am remembering correctly).

Has the vet ever just trimmed the longer, protruding tooth? I wonder if it is getting pushed out and not wearing properly.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:02 pm

I would suggest dental X-rays to see if anything is going on in his mouth. BUT must have proper dental X-ray machine and experience vet. Good luck!

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:50 am

Thanks for posting it and for replay!!:)

Between teeth is green cause of pellets. IOnly this left tooth botheres him a tinny little bit. His mouth is closed fully.

As I said i only worry about pink thing behind teeth that is seen in the second photo.. Actually my mum has something like that and they said is not dangerous is cause of biting the skin in mouth with teeth..but she s going for removal and she said why and they say why not so it wont bother you and she like had this for over a year..in Iries case...he is 6,5..we will probably go to vet what is that if nobody knows what exactly is that..

No he s eating completely normal-Lee was putting had aside, stuggle to chew food, losing weight and than he went to 4 surgeries for back teeth, but had happy life, reaching 6.y.o...

Irie is eating perfectly-so we wont do dental x-ray if that wont be the case(they can see teeth with this thing for human ears check, a little bit anyway), thank you very much for suggestion. If he can eat himself thats good enough, cause we wont put him through anesthesia for no obvious reason-not even a little bit.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:51 am

Thanks both again...

And i forgot to answer..no, no vet didnt ever trim any of Irie s teeth..it all happened naturally...

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:05 am

I respect your decision but an experience vet can usually do a dental with gas only and there is no need to worry about drugs and knocking them out. Hoping he continues to improve.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 pm

Yes, we generally do advise xrays to get a solid idea of what is going on in the mouth.

Were the teeth always crooked? Have any been broken and had to regrow?

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:14 am

No, ..just like 4 months ago i noticed this for the first time..he is always shaking cage with front teeth and he s been doing it for years, so i dont know why has this happend now and not before..he s so enthusiastic towards everything, always wants everything (including food) or going on the floor so he can run around 20times faster than i can do..i am doing my best but..its still too slow for him:). Maybe thats how he damaged tooth...

We will go to vet for an oppinion..not tomorrow but soon i think...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:53 pm

I would discourage him from shaking the cage with his front teeth. As you say, it may very well have contributed or even caused the misalignment.

Some people put plexiglass in front of the wire to prevent tooth damage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 9:35 am

Here's a new pic. By email, Lisa12 confirms her wondering what this is, is likely an injury (similar profile from earlier pics).

Lisa12

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 pm

I was just afraid the other day that this thing is not infected, cause otherwise he would need antibiotic?..
I also notice, now..this is visable as well, on first photo..from March..just little bit less of it..

I would agree is cause of injury as i wrote., cause of bitting cage.and probably cause teeth position is not the right ..he is bitting on his skin in the side of themouth..or something..something similar must happened behind front tooth..

His weight droped slightly..and i notice he is sometimes making sounds with teeth when eating-he didnt before.

Due to his age(7 in october) i am in a bit of distress on what to do..we could visit vet for oppinion(and checking on teeth, but i am relucant toward surgeries, specially cause he is eating by himself. We are as well relucant about teeth x-rays, cause than we would rather just go for surgery if needed.

If anybody has other oppinion, experience with this things and how to handle it, all ideas appriciated.

He dosent need AB, now? I know for teeth there is azytromicin-cause i ve got it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 pm

I can't really tell anything from the photo. Is there a way to brighten and sharpen it? Is the area red or swollen at all?