Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:04 pm

I remember years back the procedure for trying to get a sterile urine catch for a human female (wiping the area with a couple of alcohol swabs and doing a mid-stream catch). I think of perhaps trimming hairs in the butt area and cleaning your boar's penis as well as possible. Depending on how you might set up a catch, you might have to worry about contamination from the feet, too. It would be interesting if a soft, sterile silicone cup could be secured under his penis.

You may want to ignore my ideas or they may set you thinking about how best to collect urine that is as bacteria free as possible.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks lynx for ideas...he is very long haired so we will try to cut hair in the butt area in stomach he has no hair cause they cut them off completely for ultrasound..

We will try free catch (holding Irie and under him there will be steryile cup, but he wont be touching the cup..he will be eating vegetables so he wont be annoyed when waiting.. i will clean his cage 30min before so he will eat a lot of hay and drink a lot of water also.

In tuesday we will try, vet that is helping us even called a lab if this is okay-they say we can try..and we can hope for clear results, but defenetly he needs to urinate directly in the cup and not on the floor as you all wrote before.

When we will take a sample i have to drive immidatly(without Irie) urine sample 1h 10min to clinic..than they will send it directly to the laboratory for culture.

Hope we will succed. We will report if we got some accurate results.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 pm

If you are going to the trouble of holding him and using a cup, have a towel handy underneath and aim for a mid-stream catch (after he has started peeing to eliminate bacteria in the urethra and hopefully help get a cleaner sample).

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:29 am

It didnt work out and it wont-no way, with Irie..I am not vet, either.

We were trying for about an hour. I gave him 8ml of water, i gave him salad to relax but he ate it still all muscles complitely tensed, i knew he was thinking why am i held like that, despite i try to do everything so he would feel better..I massaged his bladder gently..he was only holding in more..
And after some time his hair fell into the cup and some hay dust as well..so. its useless and its not a method he prefers and at the end of it all he was distraught and dissapointed cause he knew he didnt dosomething rightand because i was.. But nothing was his fault of course, we just tried.

So I decided that we either dont do it..or we can desifect small table we have in the room with bleach and than wash it away with water and steryille thing, and collect urine in steryille syringe, but i do not think it would made much sense, altough we can easily get like 3ml like that,...

So do you think we should try on the table or its completely useless?

We will start MArbocyl over the weekend, than we will see if urine check will be better again in 14days and we plan to do x-ray or ultrasound stone control in two months or something. We hate going to vets so..we schedule as little check outs as possible or without Irie:)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:42 am

Vet always wipes girls private parts with water then I hold bottle he holds girl and gently squeezes bladder. It is a 2 man operation but be prepared for dirty look from Irie when you take his pee. My girls always give me the stink eye! Bet when you put him back into his cage he squirted it out! Cheeky boy!

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:19 am

Thank you..but it wont work out...

We can only do it with method desribed with table.

We have like 5 exotic vets in country, no one would squeeze the bladder and send for culture cause its not steryille and the funny thing is i think only in one place they know how to even do that(!). We dont even have *our*vet, here in Slovenia its all up to owners.. specially if you want to get somewhere, thats why i decided when our little Galli break on through i wont have pigs anymore, back than we sort of had *our vet*, but even he couldnt always help us and than changed a job so..i am so sad to say..but no exotic vet really did that much for us.

Even with Irie.. the best i could fo for culture is to ask dog vet to send it and she said yes, but you have to bring the sample.

I wrote this just to explain it to you..but anyway..it doesnt matter, thank you for trying to help us as always!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:45 am

It was worth a try! (you sure did your best!) Sorry it was frustrating for both of you.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words Lynx...:)

I have like one reallylast idea to put him directly in this steryle *kidney cup* https://www.sanolabor.si/artikel/ledvic ... -pp-700-ml and he will stay in the cup and urinate and i will remove him immidatly so he wont contaminatethe whole things with his feet..We re riskingcontamination from hair mainly urethra and skin..but as i said..its the last thing we can try...and than very carefuly remove as clean as we get urine in another steryle cup and than if we succed we will both eat so a lot of salad for reward cause this is very hard.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:37 am

We couldnt do it..we did the best we could, but its no go..because when we waited he was dropping all kind of things in to the cup and with kidney cup we still couldnt get good enough sample. So we gave it up. If the troubles will keep on going, we should probably ask the exotic vet if he can help us make irie urinate in to the cup, or try something else tocollect the sample for culture. We will see.
Now he s got Marbocyl for three weeks, than i will check his urine on dog clinic.
Depends on the results Irie will have to go to the vet on about 2.9. for additional check ups, and i ve already spoke to one exotic vet that is from clinic we used to went wiht my pigs and he said its not solution to keep him on AB all the time and i fully agree, so we will try to find the suitable solution for chronic UTI or whatever it became.

Another thing is we lost bit of weight and i am not impressed.

Butwhy i am writing is TOOTH ISSUE(FRONT TOOTH).
Irie s tooth that Dr Legendre recommended removal is now fairly okay..but the other became overgrown..but it doesnt effect him too much..what its worrying is it turned brown..i dont know if its infected but something do seem quite off. I know you have a lot of experiences with this stuff and i would be grateful for your suggestions, cause if its very wrong we will go to vet next week.
I wouldnt like to write too much about it, Lynx if its okay i will send you photos on moneday..cause i am home alone and with my bad mobile phone i wont be able to get clear enough photos for you to check it out. Irie ate some apple sticks the other day, but to me it seems the tooth is brown not brownish from food. More to come on moneday. :(.

And i hope if its tooth infection Marbocyl can clear that too or something..ah..

It keeps us going that he is one very happy pig and he is nearly 7.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:00 pm

I am glad he is a happy pig. I hope he stays that way!

Interested in seeing the pics. I imagine they will clarify your description.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:49 am

I'm sorry that the container didn't work. It was certainly worth a try!

You are doing such a great job with him, juggling several issues and trying to get answers, which I know is very stressful.

I'll be interested to see that tooth as well.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks both!

We ve been very bussy..Irie had so much fun enjoyingtime yesterday on the grass outside that i forgott how much time it is and was one hour late for work!

Otherwise we finally start with 0,1ml of Marbocyl today...for UTI. I think UTI and tooth problems are age related with him. Cause he would have problems sooner if it were genetics or other reasons.

However now it doesnt seem tooth is rotten, my sister helped uswith check out today..but it seems like quite overgrown!:S And the one who dr Legendre suggested removal as you will see-its now alright without treatment-i dont even know if he broke it or how he get it in normal length..but now the other tooth is so overgrown..hm... we have some bad front teeth luck.. i need to think what to do with it.

I ll send a photos..